Which one is better: Ballet or Contemporary?

Hi all,

For a dancer to learn wide variety of dances, Flexibility & Control over body are most important.

I hope you'll agree that Ballet & Contemporary does these things better than others. So, of these two which one is better?

Ballet or Contemporary?

PS: I agree that HIP-HOP is also one of these kinds, but I don't know why, I don't have same feeling for HIP-HOP as I have for Ballet & Contemporary.

every type of dancing is different when it comes to balance and flexibility.

in each style you use different muscles.

contemporary dance is actually a modern dance.

for latin and ballroom - well, try to balance and dance in 3" heel ;) and do rise and fall.

hereKittyKitty

Administrator
Staff member
IMHO, Ballroom is the best of all worlds. Ballet training helps, but I'm glad that I do not have an extensive ballet background. I did a little ballet to help my jazz - that's all. A little ballet, a little jazz, a little modern all combined helped my ballroom:). Now I just stick to ballroom:cool:

Whatever you have a passion for that drags you back in the studio day after day, makes those hours of practice feel like minutes, and wish you could be doing this all of the time... For me it is ballroom.

vmec

I'm going to have to say ballet. I've done ballet since I was 3 and apparently it has helped me in nurmerous ways... skating, skiing, other dancing, gymnastics and the like. Though I've never tried contemporary- I do still think ballet is more of a fundamental basis for other things.

Kassia

I've done ballet, jazz, flamenco and belly dance in my life and all of them and i think i have incorporated something from everyone of them into my ballroom dance...
I think that ballet helps the standard/smooth dances.
But then jazz helps with swing/jive..
Flamenco, of course helps with latin dances, especially paso doble.
Belly dance helps to control and do fantastic isolations..
And i think that all of them help with latin dance in some way...
And i still take belly dance as well... My teachers are always impressed by the way my hips move.. Shimmies and latin motion are closely related..
Undulations and body waves are not all that hard for me but my dh struggles with aliot of this stuff... He's had no other dance training at all..
Well that really didn't answer the question, did it? I think that everyone should try different things and find out what works best for YOU!

Hi all,

For a dancer to learn wide variety of dances, Flexibility & Control over body are most important.

I hope you'll agree that Ballet & Contemporary does these things better than others. So, of these two which one is better?

Ballet or Contemporary?

PS: I agree that HIP-HOP is also one of these kinds, but I don't know why, I don't have same feeling for HIP-HOP as I have for Ballet & Contemporary.
Perhaps you could expand on your goal? Are you planning a career in dance? Or perhaps you want to tone for something particular like ballroom?

QPO

All dancing is good, you have to choose which one you love to do. I love ballroom followed by AT for partner dancing.

latingal

Ballet or Contemporary?
claws, I have training in both styles. And yes, flexibility, body awareness and control, and strength are important if you want to be able to learn a variety of dances.

Most good modern/contemporary dancers have basic skills in ballet, it's used to warm up for modern/contemporary quite often.

Classical ballet has a very "held" torso position, while contemporary normally incorporates more freedom of movement - including contractions, isolations and the like. It is important to really be able to move freely across the floor in modern.

So I think for me the combination of the two was most effective. Classical ballet with it's discipline, building of strength/flexibility, awareness of line, and modern for it's freedom of body and movement and wide range of interpretation.

Hello,

Ballet is what modern/contemporary is based off of and I have found some of the best contemporary dancers have a very extensive background in ballet. Ballet helps you be aware of your body and provides the strength and technique necessary in contemporary (and ballroom). I have found ballet to be useful in all the forms of dance and sports I have participated in.

As for which is better, they are both different and unique but I if I had to choose one to start with, I would start with ballet and then try contemporary.

J.Risa

Being a ballet dancer myself, I would say ballet wins hands down. :)

I suppose I would say ballet is "better" than contemporary in the sense that ballet is more disciplined, and emphasizes control whereas contemporary, despite being based loosely on ballet, teaches the dancer how to "let go". Flexibility is actually only a bonus for both ballet and contemporary. Neither really emphasize it, and flexibility can be trained without dance whatsoever, really. Although dancing helps make it more enjoyable. :)

Contemporary is usually more expressive, where movements are more exaggerated and is kind of unconventional. (I had to do contemporary in dance club in school and found it wasn't to my liking because the movements made me feel rather ridiculous. In one session we had to feel and act like we were cats.)

I also think sometimes contemporary can get a little dangerous if you lack the basic control of your body a ballet background provides, which can result in injuries, so I'd advise learning ballet before delving into contemporary. Besides, most contemporary dance classes go into basic ballet as well.

All dance styles require a degree of flexibility and control. It is something you gain after years of practice.

Contemporary originated due to the limitations of Ballet. Ballet is quite a restrictive dance with pointed feet, various arm/feet positions etc.

Contemporary breaks all the rules of ballet. There are many different techniques of Contemporary dance. (i.e Alexandra/Graham/Release etc). Each technique is based on several elements. For example the Release technique emphasizes a lack of tension, use of breath and momentum. If you do a quick search on the internet you should see a break down of each technique.

I am not sure what particular dance style will make you more flexible. If I had to say one it would probably be Ballet but you could always attend a Pilates class if you want to stretch more. In my opinion any dancing gets you stretching and in turns makes you more flexible and controlled.

Dance Ads