Whining Thread #2

bia

They stickified the floor of our practice room at the rec center (while "cleaning" it, presumably) so it's undanceable and instead we have to use the room that's too small for rounds. A week out from the comp. TDNWMH.

bia

Work out a deal to practice at a studio
Closest ballroom studio is an hour and a half away. Only non-ballroom dance studio in town has marley on all the floors, and the rooms are too small, anyway. I did a major search for practice space a few years ago and came up completely empty, but there are some new possibilities since then (new pilates studio, yoga studio, and barre studio), so it may be time to check out their spaces/schedules/rates. Though not what I want to be giving my attention to this week.

bia

there are some new possibilities since then (new pilates studio, yoga studio, and barre studio), so it may be time to check out their spaces/schedules/rates. Though not what I want to be giving my attention to this week.
Nope -- yoga studio is too small, maybe-big-enough pilates studio has machines all over, pure barre studio is carpeted. Oh well, at least the research was quick.

FancyFeet

Why is it so hard for someone to answer a question with: a) the information being sought; or b) a simple "I don't know" or "I've never thought about that"?

Don't give me random words that don't tell me what I'm asking and don't even really relate to what I'm asking... or worse, are a rephrasing of my question. And yes, I noticed that you deleted the original question from your reply, and took off some (not all, so it's not a 'reply' vs. 'reply all' issue) of the people I c.c'd. Don't worry, they now have your nonsensical reply.

(I need alcohol. Or something to hit.)

IndyLady

FF, do you and I work at the same office? lol

Also a work thing.... why do people insist on trying to start a conversation when they pass you in the hall and it is clear that you are either (a) leaving for the day, or (b) about to enter the restroom. Srsly, this is not a good time to talk, how is that not obvious.

The other day, I encountered one of my co-workers in the hall as I was leaving at the end of the day (bag/purse in hand). Apparently the sight of me inspired some profound thought in his head because he started to say something (I don't recall verbatim but it was clearly one of those "let's play with some ideas" lines of discussion). I immediately said "Sorry, I have to go" and kept walking. He practically yelled after me "I just need 30 seconds!" I kept walking.

The next day, he randomly stopped by my cubicle and said, quickly and kind of breathily (like when you're nervously chewing someone out), "I wanted to stop by and say hi and bye since I know you're really busy ok see you later."

Now, in all fairness, I (and some others) are pretty sure this guy is on the spectrum due to these types of repeated episodes of social obliviousness. He's generally a nice guy and has some good ideas, and I try to be patient with the occasional 15 minute stream of consciousness monologues when he stops by, but frankly those two encounters dried up my sympathy for a while.

Btw he's not the only one guilty of my initial complaint, but he's by far the worst offender. I think he's starting to notice that I cut him off a lot but he's not putting 2 & 2 together about when is a good time to chit-chat, or to perceive when someone actually is busy and cannot spare time for small talk (which has been this past week for me).

Now, in all fairness, I (and some others) are pretty sure this guy is on the spectrum due to these types of repeated episodes of social obliviousness. ...
I had an issue like this at work as well. I found that saying something like "sorry to cut you off, but I'm really busy right now . I am also flat out for the rest of the week. Things will be better once I have "x" done, and I will have time to listen then, so could you drop by on Monday? I'd love to hear your ideas then."

Purr

Big whine. I am assigned with a coworker to provide training this month to the staff. We agree on a topic, and I start working on the training. About two weeks go by, and coworker offers nothing but a complaint about something he believes is offensive that should be taken out. Supervisor had approved it, but I took it out to humor the coworker. Coworker then goes on vacation for two weeks, only offering one other complaint about something else. I continue to work on the training, and I e-mail him what I have this morning with the suggestion to meet on Thursday to finalize things, which would give him time to add something. Conveniently, coworker is also out Friday. Coworker comes into my office this afternoon saying, so what part of this are you going to give and what I am going to give. I tell him, don't you have anything to add or improve the training, or did you expect me to write it all myself - I thought you'd at least come up with a few examples. He leaves my office with an incredulous look. I am angry because I came up with a good start, not the final product.

This is why I hate team projects. People are lazy and not responsible. Coworker has until Thursday to come up to something, or I'm going to escalate this to management. Maybe I should have done it sooner, but coworker went vacation and couldn't work on it anyway, and it's not my job to police the staff. The training is due next week, finished or not.

This is only sort-of a whine, but I really do hate cluttering up the "life is hard" thread with fundamentally trivial stuff - even if I've done it before.

But whelp, it's official. I'm on sabbatical from dance entirely and done with pro-am. There are a bunch of reasons, but it pretty much boils down to mental and physical exhaustion. I'll miss it, but I really think this is for the best.

Le merf.

(I paid for my plane ticket to Orlando with sky miles, so I think I'll still visit Disney the week of USDC. But visiting the Swan during the comp would just hurt too much. But a nice, low stress, vacation with the family will probably do me a world of good.)

Dance Ads