Whining Thread #2

well i was coming to complain about my companies jerking me around on my contract, and then the guy who didn't renew me bringing up the Weinstein sexual harassment and abuse allegations as a joke to "lighten the mood". and then i saw the above posts and i'm grossed out again.

cornutt

The two most dreaded words among Porsche owners are "IMS bearing". Well, last weekend, I pulled my Boxster out of the garage to wash it. After I got done, I tried to start it to pull it back in, but it wouldn't fire. I figured I had just gotten the ignition wet -- I've had that happen before. I pushed it back into the garage and left it to dry overnight.

The next morning, I tried to start it. It took forever to start, and when it finally did, it sounded terrible and a bunch of white smoke came from the exhaust. I immediately shut it off. Now the engine won't crank. Uh oh... Had it towed yesterday. We'll see what the service shop comes up with next week. I'm hanging onto my wallet.

Joe

I've heard about that, and it's one reason I went with a Vette rather than a P-car. Of course, the clutch pressure plate in the Vette failed, but I was able to handle that in my driveway—didn't need to tear into the engine.

IndyLady

People who want me to watch dance videos (either on their phone, or posted to my FB timeline), thinking I'm going to be amazed and awed by what they found.

I humored someone the other day who wanted to show me "the most amazing thing he'd ever seen" - it was a contemporary piece by a famous ballet dancer, he informed me that it had been viewed x-million times on YouTube and people had said it was life-changing. Don't get me wrong, it was excellent, but it turned out he hadn't even heard of "So You Think You Can Dance", and I didn't have the heart to tell him that is not my favorite style anyways. I think he was disappointed that I wasn't totally blown away, since he shut it off before the end.

cornutt

So the Boxster has a blown head gasket. That might be relatively good news. They're going to pull the head and have a look inside the cylinders. If there is no block or piston damage, we'll either get a machine shop to clean the head up, or get a remanufactured one, and put it back together. If there is block damage, the engine is a goner. If there is piston damage, they're going to have to give me a quote for cracking open the engine (which is a lot of work with a boxer engine), and replacing the piston. But that means the entire bottom end has to come apart, and they might open it up and then find out the crank is bent or something else nasty. So cost-wise, it might not be worth it. I'll have to make that decision when we get there.

tangotime

.. What is it with English news casters/presenters who cannot get the correct pronunciation for Houston.. so far... House ton..and Whostun ....:mad:.....and in the States placing an H where it does not belong as in Shtreet .it's endemic ( not to forget Didn't only has 2 Ds not 3 )..

tangotime

The one that annoys me the most is when people say "sekitree" for secretary. And "Liberryan, instead of librarian.
BY the by, I do realise that speech is colloquial ,but those in the business of Prof journalism should be held to a higher standard .

There is a host of words that get mutilated daily on the "box" by "educated ? " people ( and I mean primarily by Prof. ) .

Purr

At the risk of sounding dismissive, I think you will be fine and I wouldn't worry too much about this. I recently had a credit card replaced too for fraudulent charges. First time that one has been compromised. Our Chase cards have been replaced so many times for fraudulent charges (I swear we are on our 8th or 9th card for one of the accounts) that it barely fazes us anymore. We've never had issues getting it resolved, it is always quick and routine, this seems to be one of the processes that cc companies have down to "well oiled machine" level.
I received a letter from the security division of my credit card company today saying that one of the vendors, priceline.com, is disputing that the charges on my card are fraudulent. Their documentation gives the name of the hotel guest, his e-mail address and his telephone number. Their circular reasoning is that the charge was made via mobile web, and confirmed with the e-mail; neither of which is mine. It's ridiculous. I did an online search of the distinct name, and found a 23 year old male with charges for counterfeiting and forgery in the geographic area as the area code of the phone number. I figure that's him. Even if it isn't, there's no way I'd authorize a charge for anyone else but me.

I had a lengthy conversation a representative from the security division yesterday, and today I followed up with letter and signed statement that I'm continuing to dispute the charges. The representative indicated that once they receive my statement, they'll credit my account and revert the charge back to the vendor. I hope they follow through. Apparently the vendor will have to write the charge off as a loss, or go after the man responsible.

There's one more fraudulent charge, but I haven't received anything from the security division indicating if that vendor is disputing that the charge is fraudulent. If/when it happens, I will be calling the security division again.

I was reissued a new credit card, which I activated but haven't used yet. I've lost interest in online shopping, and purchases I make are just about all in cash.

IndyLady

I received a letter from the security division of my credit card company today saying that one of the vendors, priceline.com, is disputing that the charges on my card are fraudulent. Their documentation gives the name of the hotel guest, his e-mail address and his telephone number. Their circular reasoning is that the charge was made via mobile web, and confirmed with the e-mail; neither of which is mine. It's ridiculous. I did an online search of the distinct name, and found a 23 year old male with charges for counterfeiting and forgery in the geographic area as the area code of the phone number. I figure that's him. Even if it isn't, there's no way I'd authorize a charge for anyone else but me.

I had a lengthy conversation a representative from the security division yesterday, and today I followed up with letter and signed statement that I'm continuing to dispute the charges. The representative indicated that once they receive my statement, they'll credit my account and revert the charge back to the vendor. I hope they follow through. Apparently the vendor will have to write the charge off as a loss, or go after the man responsible.

There's one more fraudulent charge, but I haven't received anything from the security division indicating if that vendor is disputing that the charge is fraudulent. If/when it happens, I will be calling the security division again.

I was reissued a new credit card, which I activated but haven't used yet. I've lost interest in online shopping, and purchases I make are just about all in cash.
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this. I've never experienced pushback like that, on occasion we've had to sign & mail back a form that says we are certifying the charges are fraudulent but that's been the extent of it. I hope it gets quickly resolved in your favor, as it should.

Thinking about it, I wonder if priceline's company policy is to automatically dispute fraudulent charges claims (kind of like what people think insurance companies like to do, automatically deny claims and make the policyholder "work" for the money), or at least certain ones by some criteria like dollar amount, so that they don't get burned by false claims. I could see that being an issue with a business like theirs, people trying to scam them by claiming cc fraud.

Either way, this is unfortunate.

Purr

Yes, I figure their policy is to automatically dispute fraudulent charge claims. I was appalled that someone could make a reservation for a room in their name, using their mobile number and e-mail address, but because they had my name, address, credit card number and security code on the back for billing, the charge was approved. if it's that easy, then there are probably lots of fraudulent charges out there. I will check back with the security division next week to ensure they received my letter and signed form.

I made a cash withdraw yesterday at my bank for holiday shopping this weekend. I'm not fond of the idea of carrying so much cash around, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not using the card, and I don't want to write checks either. So cash it is. Bring on Kohl's, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and Barnes & Noble.

No, this doesn't mean mug Purr if you see me on the street. I'm not advertising for that.

FancyFeet

I made a cash withdraw yesterday at my bank for holiday shopping this weekend. I'm not fond of the idea of carrying so much cash around, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not using the card, and I don't want to write checks either. So cash it is. Bring on Kohl's, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and Barnes & Noble.
Visa gift cards? They work like a gift card or gift certificate, but you can use them anywhere visa is accepted - and you can use cash or debit to buy them.

Dance Ads