Who could replace Carrie Ann?

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#41
Fine... fine. Long story short. Most of us agree that Carrie Anne's clueless, from a ballroom perspective. But ... the list of potential C-A replacements is pretty darn short, so far. :?
 

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
#42
I actually think Toni would be fantastic.
She is absolutely stunningly beautiful, very articulate, has a cool accent, extremely knowledgeable, probably won't grip about things being "too American style".
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#44
cornutt said:
Didn't this thread have something to do with Carrie Ann about four pages ago?

(He says, as he wishes he were about twenty years younger, and forty pounds lighter. :raisebro: )
hey, i made three suggestions bucko
 

Joe

Well-Known Member
#46
Larinda McRaven said:
I actually think Toni would be fantastic.
She is absolutely stunningly beautiful, very articulate, has a cool accent
I actually think that could be an issue, since there would then be no Americans on the "judging" panel--just a Brit, an Aussie and an Italian.
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#49
Joe said:
I actually think that could be an issue, since there would then be no Americans on the "judging" panel--just a Brit, an Aussie and an Italian.
Good point. That probably wouldn't go over too well, with an American audience. :?
 
#50
Depending on how you define "american" (example, ruling out everyone with an accent) you could end up excluding a near majority of the best known US dancers/teachers.
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#51
Also, if we're talking about such closed-minded understandings of American, Toni looks more "American" than Carrie Ann or Bruno!
 
#52
Larinda McRaven said:
or on her head... or Tony's.
Why not get Sonia Kruger? (aka Tina Sparkle???) An actual ballroom dancer turned newscaster.... Now whoda thunk that?

Oh yeah... She's a moooooveeeeeeeee star, too. A ballroom movie star? Not a bit part actor in some schlocky piece of camp.... Oh wait.... Bitter, me?
 
#53
that would pretty much be the ideal person - ballroom *and* broadcasting experience. it would be great if someone had the opportunity to become the Dick Button of ballroom telecasting.
 
#54
alemana said:
It would be great if someone had the opportunity to become the Dick Button of ballroom telecasting.
Anybody remember David Canty? He was doing quite well in the US senior standard ten years back, and his day job was radio announcer. Sounds like a good combination to me.
 
#55
SDsalsaguy said:
Also, if we're talking about such closed-minded understandings of American, Toni looks more "American" than Carrie Ann or Bruno!
But should it really matter whether someone looks or sounds American? I mean who really cares if they're American or European or Australian? Does everyone here really think that the audience is going to mind a diverse international panel of judges? Is it possible that viewers will see it as something that makes the show more interesting?
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#56
Personally I couldn't care less how someone looks or sounds RI, but I was offering that idea in response to the post Chris S made. As far as how it would be seen, I can't really guess, only hope.
 
#58
I wonder if there isn't a fair amount or risk to real ballroom professionals who participate - they get exposure, but in more detail and perhaps not as favorable light as an ordinary competition where they either dance in a more traditional format, or rank couples but don't have to comment.
 

Joe

Well-Known Member
#59
Chris Stratton said:
Depending on how you define "american" (example, ruling out everyone with an accent) you could end up excluding a near majority of the best known US dancers/teachers.
Joe and Mary Sixpack don't know any of the "best known" US dancers/teachers.
 
#60
Joe said:
Joe and Mary Sixpack don't know any of the "best known" US dancers/teachers.
True, but part of the problem with the current panel is that the dance community doesn't think they have enough ballroom knowledge - the purpose of getting a well known ballroom personality would be to rectify that immediately, rather than a lesser known person having to prove their expertise by saying sensible things over the course of the show.
 

Dance Ads