who here likes cumbia?

HF said:
hopelessly_addicted said:
It becomes not so funny when a DJ plays cumbia the whole not.. :evil: :wink:
Yes, it can be a pain ... :?

This may work: Go to the DJ, smile at him and tell him you would love to hear salsa again. After a time have a friend repeat this and then a third one. Maybe this works.
I've requested more salsa nicely before, didn't work. Next time I'm there with other salseros, I'll ask them to ask the DJ also rather than sitting on their butt complaining... I don't know WHY but some people are quite reluctant to voice their preference to the DJ for some reason! :twisted:

pelao said:
Originally, cumbia used to be filled with much more percussive sounds, but thats the part of the story most people don't hear, because that old sound of cumbia has long passed away. Most people today know about the ones with trumpets and timbales and congas (which actually came about due to the 50s mambo craze in colombia at the time). The original cumbias were composed of [some or all of these:] indigenous flutes (and eventually, the german accordion), the indigenous maraca (or guacharaca even [guiro/guira in other countries]), the african tambor, the african tambora, and the african caja, and the guasa/guache (I'm not sure where this one came from - most likely indigenous also). It even had a great traditional dance that went with it.
Heya Pelao! Thanks for the info! :) I did wonder about the origin of cumbia...

pelao said:
Anyways, not saying its worse or better in sound (thats up to you the listener to decide) - I just think its sad how some great old genres of music that represent the folklore of your country/people and its heritage can so quickly be changed and forgotten. It loses its value - the thing that makes it special. Its really a social connection to musical history question, not really musical as in, "hey, this sounds nice"
So.. EM would like to know.. are you a colombian?

I guess I've been ranting purely from a salsa dancer's point of view....

pelao said:
Anyhow, I still like some cumbias (or tropicales), but I prefer vallenato.
Do you like cumbias for listening or dancing or both? Any titles you'd recommend?

HF

Vallenato is completely different to my ears, I like it. This music makes me happy.

Maybe they are not playing the traditional cumbias in the clubs I visit.

hey, that's good that you can enjoy dancing to any kinda latin music, cocodrilo! I wish I could be like that :D Nothing more annoying when I'm so pump to dance but the music's all wrong for the whole night :p :roll:
Oh, I know how that is! I love a variety, and when the fekkin' DJ plays like 4 merengues in a row, it's like what th' f***?! It takes a good Dj to make a person's night, but it also takes music appreciation on the part of the dancers to adjust to the situation, and get out there and enjoy themselves. After all, we're there to dance, aren't we?

cocodrilo said:
Oh, I know how that is! I love a variety, and when the fekkin' DJ plays like 4 merengues in a row, it's like what th' f***?! It takes a good Dj to make a person's night, but it also takes music appreciation on the part of the dancers to adjust to the situation, and get out there and enjoy themselves. After all, we're there to dance, aren't we?
Yeah I totally agree with you there... we are there to dance and have fun.. My policy is not to sulk for whatever reason when I go out because I've seen people doing that and I don't like it.... I rant all my anger/frustration/distress here instead :oops: :lol:

I don't like it either. It lacks flow and looks primative. But, it does give me a breather from dancing as the rest of the pure salsa dancers also do not dance it. We all get a chance to rest and get some water. ;)

vey

Thanks Vey for th recommendations! :) I'll check them out...

What did you learn in your cumbia class? I'm interested.. 8)
you're welcome

In my cumbia class we were learning the typical cumbia circular dancing pattern (swing steps/left turns & interrupted turns for ladies which can be done by stopping follow and swinging her back using different "ankors" for interruption - from shoulders down to knees, etc) plus we learned cumbia cross step (step right foot to the side,
cross left ft in front,
right ft to the side again,
tap with the heel of left ft
and mirrow the same step to the opposite direction

vey said:
we learned cumbia cross step (step right foot to the side,
cross left ft in front,
right ft to the side again,
tap with the heel of left ft
and mirrow the same step to the opposite direction
OOhhh didn't know that this was a cumbia step! :) Of course, come to think of it, only people who dance cumbia do it.. :wink:

Mitra

*races in* I just got back from a huge salsa party at the local club and they were doing cumbia! I absolutely love it and the guy I mostly danced with said I caught on fairly quickly for just finding out about it tonight. It was so much fun ^_^

Dance Ads