Why do you dance?

MaggieMoves

As in... skydiving? What do you mean by body flight?
It's probably best described by this quote:

"You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive." Merce Cunningham

Oh I see what you mean. I've just never heard it called that before (and I have heard that term used for skydiving, so I guess I just got confused!)

I do love that Merce Cunningham quote though. It hung in one of my favorite studios a few years ago.

Lioness

At this point it's habit and it feels bizarre if I don't go to the dance studio every day after work.

But mainly because I love feeling the music and moving my body to it, I love the challenge and reward of working hard and seeing progress, I love the sparkles and the costumes and dressing up to show off. I love that dance has made me a better person in every way.

At this point it's habit and it feels bizarre if I don't go to the dance studio every day after work.

But mainly because I love feeling the music and moving my body to it, I love the challenge and reward of working hard and seeing progress, I love the sparkles and the costumes and dressing up to show off. I love that dance has made me a better person in every way.
Exactly, dancing makes us better and better!

I dance because of several reasons..probably the main one being that it allows me a deeper and meaningful connection.. That's a fairly basic human need after all..probably wouldn't say that to the instructors ( because the knee jerk reaction is to think your life is superficial) .. but I'd wager a guess it's one of the more common 'real' reasons why people start dance and also why they continue with it. I'd suspect this creates passion, habit etc...

Last edited:
I dance because it is my passion. It is also very good exercise for mind and body. Dancing relaxes me from the worries of the material world. It's the pleasure of doing something I am talented and I love.

For the mental well-being it grants me. It's the only time I'm completely out of my own head and 100% in the present moment (you have to be! It takes so much work!) It also has the two-fold benefit of increased physical well-being. So really, why doesn't everyone do it?
Really agree with you on that one. I dance because I found the perfect way to express myself. It helped me to be a little more self-confident (as I've been struggling with that for all my life basically) and feel more comfortable in my own body. Also, my avatar perfectly expresses the way I feel, when I completely feel down and think that my whole world is falling apart.

The desire to dance is an adaptation (if you subscribe to that theory) meant to improve the mate selection process, and as is the case with all other instincts, it is unnecessary to have an apriori justification in order to succumb to its drive. However, it doesn't mean that we can not have one. [Couple] dance happens to be aligned with my personal values: understanding, aesthetic, admiration, control. Not many activities hit all 4.

Dance Ads