Will Derek Hough retire after this season??

Nooooooooooooo!!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/derek-hough-to-retire-from-dancing-with-the-stars/1#.UBLL4LRulLs

danceronice

Well, he seems to really want to be a celebrity/movie star more than a dancer, so he's probably gotten all the mileage he can out of DWTS without getting pigeonholed into it. He's got a movie coming out, so now's the time to really push that rather than risk being that dancer guy who did a movie.

Hi, lildancer.

Well, let me say that Derek is one of the few pros who has been able to do justice (once in a while) to "ArgentIne Tango."
Nobody on that show has done justice to Argentine Tango. As Len would say "Where are the elements?" I don't see sacadas, molinetes, barridas, nor dancing in close embrace. Even the music isn't traditional, e.g. Pugliese, DiSarli, Tanturi, Triolo, Laurenz.....

JudeMorrigan

I sometimes wonder how well he would have done if he would have kept competing. I bet very well.
I know DWTS has done a lot for the industry in terms of fostering interest in the larger population, but I definitely think we're poorer for some of the pros it's costs us. It's fun to imagine a world were Derek and Mark were perennial open pro finalists and Val had recently won a national RS title, etc.

slhull.13

Apart from the obvious losses from the pro-competition world, my coach is always talking about how once upon a time Louis VanAmstel was one of the best Latin dancers he's ever seen...

JudeMorrigan

Apart from the obvious losses from the pro-competition world, my coach is always talking about how once upon a time Louis VanAmstel was one of the best Latin dancers he's ever seen...
I saw a video of him and Olga K. dancing at Ohio back in the day. I mean this as nothing vaguely resembling disrespect to her, but I couldn't take my eyes off him. He was freaky good.

GJB

I think at one point Louis was quite a big deal and his choreography was considered very innovative. He produced a show called Latin Fusion and they did two nights at City Center in NYC back when he was living in NYC and dancing with Joanna. I think the show toured Europe as well. I enjoyed the show quite a bit and still like his choreography. He picks interesting songs and his choreography is unique.

Dance Ads