Wise words about Lindy Hop

Bob

New Member
#21
Very interesting

I am new to the whole swing thing, and I am thrilled with this thread!

The reason I am thrilled is that I love to dance with my girlfriend, but am pretty shy about dancing with someone who can really dance well (we both started dancing together, a few months ago).

The thought of dragging an experienced dancer through the 10 basic moves that I know seems a lot like asking Dr. J to play a game of horse in the backyard.

(and I wouldn't call myself a strong lead yet, but I can be sure that I won't grab any place that shouldn't be grabbed or step on anything that shouldn't be stepped on. :shock: )
 
#24
Yes, Welcome. It's nice to have you with us. There's quite a bit of information here... enjoy! :D


... but don't let it intimidate you-- this dance is all about fun!
 
#27
Also adding onto this thread...

As a primarily social dancer and leader, I admit that in my salsa I do go into subconscious club mode and dance a lot of things. So one of my follower-friends who is a staunch lindy/ECS dancer has a very difficult time following me, and so when she gets lost she tells me "basics, basics!" as she'll subconsiously revert back to swing basics someimtes. I will switch back and pick her back up on what she knows.

But the person who teaches us WCS around here (Debbie Ramsey) says to everyone, she'd rather dance WCS (or any other dances) if they do basic steps with excellent technique than fun patterns with weak technique. Regardless, I'll still take additional workshops in patterns as I try to gain confidence in learning to lead those patterns, but proper technique is more important on the social floor than flash. Now, if you're doing a show or competing, that's a different story (apparently).

Yes, to be back on-topic, I'm trying to perfect my basic lindy circle, swingout, underarm right-side pass, sugarpush, and tuck turn. My main issue is to get used to 8-count timing in fighting the ECS subconscious clock I've always had thanks to ballroom. My advice then to the frustrated followers out there: ASK BEGINNER LEADERS TO DANCE! Seriously, help me out. Talk to me afterwards. I know that some of the dance markets out there are follower-heavy, so that's all the more reason to ask us to dance (screw etiquette and the expectations of followers being totally passive when asking for dances). Constantly and without hesitation tell us afterwards to keep working on our basics and our technique; don't rush learning patterns that you're not comfortable with. Maybe some men or other leaders aren't big into getting critiqued, but help get it into our heads these concepts before our egos expand to the point where we won't listen anymore (not that many of us listen anyway :) ).
 
#28
I must say Debbie Ramsey is an great person, instructor, and judge. I first met her in LA. Her son, dressed as Spiderman, was running all over the place. I was shot "dead" by him. Anyway, she has also given me excellent feedback on my dancing, including "calm it down"
 
#29
Well having spent the summer learning how to dance with your ankles tied to shoulder-width, she definitely has helped me with taking smaller steps in most of my dances as needed. On occasion I still need that tie back around my ankles again.

Yes, there are pictures on the website below about that.
 
#30
etchuck said:
... proper technique is more important on the social floor than flash.
:D yup!

etchuck said:
My advice then to the frustrated followers out there: ASK BEGINNER LEADERS TO DANCE!
a good chunck of the followers I know do this... but I don't see how that would directly help the "frustrated ones" ... unless you're thinking of this as an 'investment'

etchuck said:
Seriously, help me out. Talk to me afterwards. I know that some of the dance markets out there are follower-heavy, so that's all the more reason to ask us to dance (screw etiquette and the expectations of followers being totally passive when asking for dances). Constantly and without hesitation tell us afterwards to keep working on our basics and our technique...
:lol: I've never thought of lindy follows as being passive creatures!

When I dance with a newbie I still make sure to enjoy myself. At the end of the dance I'll likely mention an aspect of his leading that I liked or I felt was in the right direction... but I will NOT critique and start to try to teach without specifically being asked... and then, only if I think I would actually be helpfull. I will not do it... it's rude! If he has questions or would like a tip or two or just some suggestions let him ask! ;)
 
#31
Swing Kitten said:
etchuck said:
... proper technique is more important on the social floor than flash.
:D yup!

etchuck said:
My advice then to the frustrated followers out there: ASK BEGINNER LEADERS TO DANCE!
a good chunck of the followers I know do this... but I don't see how that would directly help the "frustrated ones" ... unless you're thinking of this as an 'investment'
Well, I would look on it as an investment. Not to stereotype too much, but women... think of it as a chance to mold a man to the leader you want him to be. :) ;)

Even those of us (okay, me) that want to improve his leading technique get frustrated on occasion. But if you want to show beginners, "if you do keep this connection steady here, I can do THIS"... you will actually let us figure out what to do to make you enjoy the dance, and that will make us enjoy dancing with you more.

Swing Kitten said:
:lol: I've never thought of lindy follows as being passive creatures!

When I dance with a newbie I still make sure to enjoy myself. At the end of the dance I'll likely mention an aspect of his leading that I liked or I felt was in the right direction... but I will NOT critique and start to try to teach without specifically being asked... and then, only if I think I would actually be helpful. I will not do it... it's rude! If he has questions or would like a tip or two or just some suggestions let him ask! ;)
I think simple encouragement works fine. I agree, don't critique unless specifically asked, and I'm at the point where nowadays, I'll ask followers, "How did that feel?" to at least figure out what I was doing that could have confused issues or not.

Now, there exist a few annoying leaders here who dance with newbie followers who insist of teaching them unsolicited. I would consider that just as rude as the converse, but they insist on monopolizing on the fresh-faced under-25 women who are too new to the dance scene. Wonder why women haven't done the same with me... :cry:
 

Dance Ads