Workshop Warriors

LoL.:D

You seem too happy! Maybe you were jealous as discussed before.

Have you considered that they may not be telling you the truth about their tango trip because they felt bad about you not going. Or maybe they really did have a rubbish workshop. I can see you laughing again!
I am smiling - but at the "jealous" bit. Hmm..interesting how not the first time that it was hinted at me (by total strangers, mind) that I may be suffering from the green stuff on this site. My brother's a criminal psychologist, I'll get his take on my views put across and the personalities behind these accusations and report back to you. :together:

p.s. the milonga after the class I am told was (as usual) very good.

bordertangoman

Didn't we do well in both games? There were two screens. One with the rugga and one with the footie. Sean Wright-Phillips was amazing as was Richardson and Owen's goal was superb and while I'm rambling about the footie are you shaking your head to say, why is she telling me this? Anyway - back to tango. And here I have a grin on my face the size of Blackwall Tunnel. Pals reported that they'd wished they did the pub trip instead of tango'ing on Saturday. Apparently the class "descended into total chaos" and the teacher lost all control. Dancers started to either sit out or carried on talking throughout the instruction (eek). You know, same-ole/same-ole.

Screenplay - that takes place around 1/2am - after everything else has been exhausted and much material has been gathered. But this weekend was a no-no. Of course.

Tango price - I personally don't think it is worth what some charge for a 2-hour spot (especially if they teach a regular class in the week anyway). But that's me. Most, I suspect, would disagree.
Ah-ha! I can see that "I-told-you-so" streak coming out! :)

DancePoet

I have just received an email from a friend who wants to attend a workshop by the TiA peeps. "Don't you ever get to a point in your tango life when you think, why waste yet more money on a workshop..along with the 2-3 classes/2-3 milongas a week...never mnd the change of outfits/shoes etc," came my response.

I have never attended a workshop. Why? A complete waste of money to my mind. Especially if one attends classes with (very good) travelling teachers each week (most of whom are from Argentina). Saturday she will miss having a p*ss up in a pub watching the Rugby World Cup with friends to spend twenty quid learning how to swing her leg in a circular movement behind. For two hours!!! The sceptic says spend the twenty quid on beers rather than puff out the pockets/pay the mortgage/bills etc. of those whose day jobs are as precarious as the British Summer. Am I alone here?

Beginners be warned !!
I'll pay money for tango workshops over beer in a bar any weekend.

However, I'm not a big fan of taking workshops, unless the person taking the lesson puts into practice what they learn and then uses it in their dance. I've heard folks complain about not seeming to learn anything from tango workshops for all kinds of reasons, some likely ligit, but most not. When I ask the question as to whether or not they practice what they learn the day after, inorder to eventually be able to use it on a dance floor, most don't. When I don't practice, that is when I lose what I've been taught.

DancePoet

Hmm.

Maybe your friend's attitude, and not the workshop, irritates you? I know it can become very old when people seem to brag about when they plan to take their next wonderful vacation (to Argentina, of course) how they plan to spend their next paycheck (tango shoes, of course) and what their plans are this week (involving slavish attendance to all tango events, with no regard to quality.) At times this sort of showy obsession smacks of an indirect brag about how much more dedicated to tango they are than you. "Tango is my life!" just gets old sometimes.
Some folks just get enthusiastic about what they enjoy. Although sometimes, if I can't afford to do what I'd like with my dancing, then I can be a little envious those who can. If someone really is bragging about this type of thing from the view of how much more dedicated they are then someone else, well, then that's just them having an issue with their own self in life. Even my envy isn't worth it if I just live within myself.

DancePoet

... Pals reported that they'd wished they did the pub trip instead of tango'ing on Saturday. Apparently the class "descended into total chaos" and the teacher lost all control. Dancers started to either sit out or carried on talking throughout the instruction (eek). You know, same-ole/same-ole.
I attended one workshop like this, but then the teacher regained direction with the course of instruction, and things turned out ok. I suspect the quality of the instruction created the issue, but I'm willing to give instructors newer to teaching workshops the benefit of the doubt, especially when the cost was only $10 per session.

Tango price - I personally don't think it is worth what some charge for a 2-hour spot (especially if they teach a regular class in the week anyway). But that's me. Most, I suspect, would disagree.
Two hours seems a bit long for a workshop. I recently attended some that were an hour and a quarter, and it seemed healthier then the longer stuff.

bordertangoman

Two hours seems a bit long for a workshop. I recently attended some that were an hour and a quarter, and it seemed healthier then the longer stuff.

I used to do three hour workshops with a break in the middle; but my preference is for one and a half to two hour workshops if I'm teaching anything above beginner level. This gives ample time for people to practice with different partners and some flexibility in going over stuff that people have problems with.

I used to do three hour workshops with a break in the middle; but my preference is for one and a half to two hour workshops if I'm teaching anything above beginner level. This gives ample time for people to practice with different partners and some flexibility in going over stuff that people have problems with.
After about 75 minutes, I definitely flag. 90 minutes straight is about the maximum uninterrupted time I can focus.

In fact, I think that's a general thing - that's why most training courses generally split into units of no more than 90 minutes.

DancePoet

I won't attend a two hour workshop unless that is the only one I'm attending. And even then, it better be a good topic with a preferred instructor.

Dance Ads