World Champion Boogie Dancers

I just finished watching Buck Privates, a great movie with the Andrews Sisters. In the credits it says, "And the World Champion Boogie Dancers as themselves." Does anyone know who these people were?

Is it the one where they sing Bounce me brother? That's one of my favorite clips with Dean Collins as the main dancer. Collins is one of the best, if not the best, lindy dancer of all time.

He does have some particualr foot-work in this clip. If you watch closely you will see that he has a lot of bounce in the feet, but his body is not very bouncy. Not like most lindy-folk today, who has bouce in the whole body. It looks much more like Boogie Woogie footwork. so it's not difficult imagining Dean Collins has been an inspiration when Boogie Woogie was born.

Anyways, IMDb is a great source for general movie information, including credits:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033436/fullcredits

pygmalion

Kewl! Dean Collins?

And does this mean there was an actual boogie woogie dance championship back in the 40's? And how does boogie woogie footwork differ from lindy?

pygmalion said:
Kewl! Dean Collins?

And does this mean there was an actual boogie woogie dance championship back in the 40's? And how does boogie woogie footwork differ from lindy?
There was no boogie woogie dance back then, but looking at Dean Collins in the mentioned video, he has footwork that looks quite boogie woogie'ish.

Boogie woogie as a dance was born in Europe. Dean Collins does Lindy. But the term Boogie Woogie was used before it became a dance, both for a style of swing music and for a jazz step. (You have boogie forward, boogie back, boogie down, if you can get hold of the short video Groovie Moovie, you'll understand)

I did describe the main difference in the footwoork above. Boogie Woogie also has a six count basic (walk, walik, tripple step, tripple step) instead of an eight count. But advanced BW dancers mixes 6 and 8 (and 10 and 12), just like advanced Lindy dancers mixes 6 and 8 (and 10 and 12).

the main difference between Lindy and BW is in the feel, and the kind of music. BW is best danced to BW-music, or rock'n roll music. Lindy is best danced to jazz with a good back-beat. BW is like doobie-doobie doobie-doobie (4 counts) while Lindy is more like 1-a2 3-a4. If you try saying these rythms while doing 6-count basic with leg-bounce and doing 8-count basic with body-bounce you'll probably find that the one suits BW-rhythm better, and the other suits Lindy-rhythm better.

Here are some videos by the currently best BW competition couple in the world. Note how slow is very much like Lindy. But in fast you can see that it's a different dance. The BW rhythm and bounce shows much better to fast music.

Huge videos though. Not for anyone with a modem.

I recomend the second and third clip.

http://ainaandjorgen.com/videos.php3

pygmalion

Thanks for the videos. I'm going to have to wait and view them on Wednesday, when I have access to my high speed connection. Right now, I'm on a dial-up. :headwall:

If you have access to some Marcus&Bärble instructional tapes, on most of them (at least the older ones) they show some cool BW-dancing at the end (I think). And Marcus have really good BW footwork.

Dance Ads