World Record for the Most Dance Spins?

The other day I was watching my two Salsa teachers dance, and after I started to count a bit late I counted about 20 fast turns...and then I had a most interesting thought...

What is the world record for the most turns/spins done during a dance? I know there are folks like the Whirling Dervishes...but does anyone here at DF have any ideas?

After a quick search with the almighty Google, I found the following article about a ballet dancer who spun 38 times, but on her own:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_1639000/1639121.stm

I'm curious about partner dancing though...I wonder if such a record exists?

I agree, 38????? OMG! But then ballet dancers are put through their paces once they get to a certain level to be able to do this.

I have built up to between 5-7 I can do, still dizzy but can maintain a standing pose. Had someone put me through at least 12 one night, he had to hold me up and guide me off the floor, I was so dizzy!! :lol:

In my "Burn the Floor" ballroom video in the final sequence Peta Roby does quite a number of single foot spins led by her partner, then spins out and continues pivoting towards the front of the stage. Not sure how many there are, but it could be around 20!

BTW, Jason Gilkinson and Peta Roby have been my ballroom and latin heros since I was little.

I've seen women do 10-20+ in both Salsa and ballroom venues...but they were mostly professionals who obviously have practiced for many years.

Its very inspirational for me as I am absolutely horrible at spins. I can do singles and am learning doubles...but I get dizzy really easily.

I'll keep searching for more information...there has to be a World Record somewhere...if not there should be! :p

Adwiz

I've been working on my spins and I can now do about five in a row, but not confidently enough that I would try that on a dance floor. In a few more weeks, perhaps...

I love to spin. Especially since one of my many hobbies is figure skating. Scratch spins on ice can really get you dizzy when you first start. The cool thing with them (as you probably already know) is that dizziness is a trick of the brain...after practicing a lot, your brain no longer registers it. On the dance floor with a partner, I typically do doubles and triples.

Pacion

I wonder if she has previously danced the role of Odile in Swan Lake? :wink:

Swan Lake is one of the more technically demanding ballets, due in part to a remarkable Italian ballerina by the name of Pierina Legnani. When Legnani danced the central dual role of Odette/Odile, she brought to it the ability to perform 32 fouettes in a row. The public was so impressed that from that production on, any ballerina who danced the role had to perform the 32 fouettes. Legnani's name is still cursed by ballerinas the world over.

A fouette is a fast whipping turn on one foot. As you can appreciate it, it's very difficult to stay in place while doing this. But ballerinas don't just hate the 32 fouettes because they're technically demanding. They also resent them because they are, in essence, "a circus piece " In other words, they're strictly for effect; movements with no psychological motivation behind them. And for a ballet like Swan Lake to be a fulfilling experience, the movements have to reveal character; they have to have reason.
Footnotes - Swan Lake

Pierina Legnani was the first to do thirty-two fouettés on pointe and she caused a huge sensation. Soon all the Russian ballerinas had to catch up technically but found they could not manage in their soft shoes. So they had their shoemakers create harder shoes for them. The Italian ballerinas, by the way, were dancing in Italian-made shoes that were actually quite soft, harder than Taglioni's but nothing like today's shoes.
www.dancer.com/Hist4.html+%22Pierina+Legnani.%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Pierina Legnani[/url]

Pacion

I saw the production here in London before it went on tour :shock: it was amazing! I really liked the futuristic element used.

Dance Ads