Worlds Info

Um . . . could be, as you certainly get more excited over the rocks than you do for dance!!!!!!
Hey! We just got our trophy in the mail today. At least they did that fast. We also got our 3rd place throw blankets. I think they're nicer than the decanter (2nd). I dance because it make my wife happy and that makes me happy.

T57

Vince A

Hey! We just got our trophy in the mail today. At least they did that fast. We also got our 3rd place throw blankets. I think they're nicer than the decanter (2nd). I dance because it make my wife happy and that makes me happy.
ROTFLMAO . . . Care's didn't arrive yet! An actual placque or a trophy?

I know someone that danced in five different categories, placing first overall in one (belt buckle and jacket???), a third (with the World's throw blanket), and three second place finishes - 3 decanters! Did you get the chance to lift one of those? They weigh (honestly) 10 pounds each . . . he had to carry those three home in his luggage . . . what the heck was the UCWDC thinking? We brought 4 suitcases, two of which only carried Care's costumes. And yep, we paid for 'em!

I know what you mean about keeping the wife happy, which is my daily goal, and like you, when she is happy . . . I am happy!

"Rock on" - literally!!! Sorry, couldn't help it! Kewl hobby.

Trophy and a small ****l placque that attaches with 2 sided tape. They actually sent two trophies, but one was broken and we only need one anyway.

I know someone that danced in five different categories, placing first overall in one (belt buckle and jacket???)
Apparently, 1st place in an advanced category also got a ring, you had to buy the belt buckle for $125.

By the way, what does ROTFLMAO stand for.

T57

Vince A

Trophy and a small ****l placque that attaches with 2 sided tape. They actually sent two trophies, but one was broken and we only need one anyway.
Carolyn had that before we left for her Pro-Am portion, but not for Classic Couples . . .

Apparently, 1st place in an advanced category also got a ring, you had to buy the belt buckle for $125.
Oh yea, forgot about paying that $125 . . . the main reason that I don't compete anymore . . . too many little things, the politics (derriere kissing???), and you have to buy your own first overall award! One of the reasons that I don't dance another venue . . . took an overall first, and we had to pay $90 for a buckle!!!

And we wonder why new venues are popping up everywhere!!!!

By the way, what does ROTFLMAO stand for.
Thanks SD . . . didn't think anyone else was jumping into me and T-57's private talks . . . we were having our own little converstation going here;)

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks SD . . . didn't think anyone else was jumping into me and T-57's private talks . . . we were having our own little converstation going here;)
Silly Vince, how many years have I been advocating the value of keeping an eye on other forums? ;)

Seriously though, while I have nothing of any substance to contribute to any C&W thread, I do try and keep some track of all the forums here on DF. And, as much as C&W isn't my thing, I really do wish I could figure out how to get more C&W people involved here at the DF. Any ideas Taurus57?

Vince A

Silly Vince, how many years have I been advocating the value of keeping an eye on other forums? ;)

Seriously though, while I have nothing of any substance to contribute to any C&W thread, I do try and keep some track of all the forums here on DF. And, as much as C&W isn't my thing, I really do wish I could figure out how to get more C&W people involved here at the DF. Any ideas Taurus57?
I've racked my brain trying to come up with an answer to that.

Where we live - 20 minutes form the Cowboy Capital of the World, Oakdale, CA, there are quite a few ballroom dancers and lots of Swing dancers. However, the C&W dancers outnumber those other dancers 100-to-1. I can imagine that in places like Texas and New Mexico, and a lot of mid-west states too, that C&W is also the preferred dance - though I mainly am a Swing dancer! I just use to compete in C&W.

But you know . . . getting those dancers to talk about it - that's another story! Maybe more linkups to C&W venues, social dance clubs, etc., is the answer.

I've almost suggested on many occassions that we delete the C&W forum.

Maybe we (me) need to open up the forum to suggestions from the members who do visit the forum . . .

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Noooooo, please don't delete the forum...I know I haven't posted in a long time but I love knowing this forum is here.
Don't be too alrmed SlowDancer, there aren't any current plans to do so. Part of what Vince is referencing is that he had advocated for the forum, thinking it would become very active very quickly. At the time we'd sort of decided that it made sense to try it and that if it didn't work out we could always delete it.

We are certainly happy to have it, just wish we knew some way to help make it a more active forum. Any ideas what we can do to help draw in and engage more C&W folk?

I think it's because we don't get no respect....
As for me, I usually don't have anything of importance/interest to contribute, but I love reading other peoples' posts!
BTW, my daughter, Gretchen, got 2nd place in Pro-Pro at Worlds.

Vince A

I think it's because we don't get no respect...
I kinda agree with what you're saying . . . its' the music, it's the clothes, it's those dumb dances . . . yeppers Suzie, we've probably heard them all.

But ya' know, I've been involved in a shootout - Ballroom vs Country (I posted about this a few years ago), and the ballroomers were quite taken back when they saw the C&W dancers dance . . . especially those crossover dances like Waltz, Cha Cha, some Swing dances. Many of them signed up for C&W lessons that day! C&W is getting closer to ballroom . . . something a lot of people don't care for, but that's where a few of the venues are heading.

BTW, my daughter, Gretchen, got 2nd place in Pro-Pro at Worlds.
I tried to reach her to say "Congatulations," but there were a lot of people, so will you tell her for me??? I love to watch her dance . . . she has terrific arms . . . great body language, but she knows that!

T57
Congratulations to you and your wife, T57! I like the idea of the throws. At least they would be useful. The other stuff just ends up being clutter if you win a lot.

I know someone that danced in five different categories, placing first overall in one (belt buckle and jacket???), a third (with the World's throw blanket), and three second place finishes - 3 decanters! Did you get the chance to lift one of those? They weigh (honestly) 10 pounds each . . . he had to carry those three home in his luggage . . . what the heck was the UCWDC thinking? We brought 4 suitcases, two of which only carried Care's costumes. And yep, we paid for 'em!

I know what you mean about keeping the wife happy, which is my daily goal, and like you, when she is happy . . . I am happy!

"Rock on" - literally!!! Sorry, couldn't help it! Kewl hobby.
Congratulations to Care also, Vince! It sounds like it was a fun time there.
And I will pass on your remarks to Gretchen.

SDsalsaguy,
Yes I do. I would start with soliciting the Instructors. They all have great influence with their students. In the CW world a large number of them have e-mail, and those that are judges are posted on the web as a link on the UCWDC site. Although, my ISP is having problems with their website right at the moment or I'd tell you the exact link. Every accredited judge except two has an e-mail address listed. That is public knowledge and could be used for contacting them directly.

Vince, I know you also contribute to the UCWDC online community and a lot of the instructors/judges chat there. Maybe you should invite some of them to express their opinions in you forum too. If people feel needed, they will contribute. Maybe pick a couple of hot topics and ask for their feedback or input.

T57

Steve Pastor

Staff member
It wasn't too long ago that someone wrote something to the effect that, well, we finally got rid of that right arm over the woman's shoulder thing.
It may have been the very next day I was going through the entertainment section of "The Oregonian" and I spotted a story on the Ponderosa Room at the Jubitz truck stop on the north end of Portland.
Jubitz has had country western music, and a pretty fair size dance floor, for over 30 years.
http://www.portlanderinn.com/music/newmusicpage.htm
And there it was, plain as day - a picture of a guy two steppin' with his right arm over a woman's shoulder.
I got a big laugh out of that one, 'cause that's the way I learned to do two step, and I still do it that way.
I learned it that way from Wally and Carla who taught at the Drum here in Portland. One day I told someone that I had learned from them, and he remarked that they don't do that when they compete.
OK. End of stories.

Dance Ads