Worlds Info

Thanks for the info on "points."
Question:
Does everyone understand how to read the judges line scores?:confused: It took me at least an hour to decipher the scoring sheets we received. Eventually, I was able to understand how they decided their tie breakers and how one couple would beat another. It is fairly complicated. By the way, should this be a separate thread? It could get multiple replies.

T57

Exactly "why" my wife works so hard on Waltz . . . she's been there!

Thanks for the info on "points."
I am hoping to continue competing this year, with a new instructor, and I was planning on just starting out with waltz and two-step, since they are the two "required" core dances. At least in ACDA they are, it's been a while since I was in a UC comp. I started out doing all eight dances, and would still love to do that, but realize I may have to re-focus on basics and maybe just do five this year.

If there is anyone else who has done both, would you recommend one or the other? Or even if you only have experience with one circuit, what do you think are the strengths, or reasons, to compete in that circuit? Actually, I think some UC events may be easier for me to get to this year, since I have moved further north out of ACDA country (pun intended.) And I guess there are other circuits, but these are the only two I'm familiar with.

In the ACDA, you have to do 3 comps during the year to qualify for finals, and you only have to do 5 dances at one of them. Is it the same for UC?

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...it seemed to fit with what was being discussed.

In the ACDA, you have to do 3 comps during the year to qualify for finals, and you only have to do 5 dances at one of them. Is it the same for UC?
SuzieQ,
In UC, you still have to compete in 3 comps. You have to do 5 of the required dances in 2 of them, and from what I hear, the third can now be any one of the 8 dances. It used to be that you had to do Two Step, then it was Two Step or Waltz, but now this year we were told it could be any of them.

T57

So, you mean you don't have to do waltz and two-step, plus 3 other dances? You're just required to do any five dances? (In the ACDA, you have to do waltz, two-step, either WCS or ECS, and then choose from triple two, polka, cha cha or night club for your other two. (I think--I'm so used to doing all eight and not having to worry about it!)

Oddly enough, the country world has decided that Waltz should be the tie breaker, so I always tell anyone competing in CW "conentrate on Waltz as one of your strongest dances".

T57
I thought two-step was the tie-breaker. At least, I think it was back when I was competing in the late 90's and early 2000's. I'm glad it's waltz, if and when I ever get to compete again, because my waltz is definitely better than my two-step.

And congrats, Tori!!!:banana:

So, you mean you don't have to do waltz and two-step, plus 3 other dances? You're just required to do any five dances? (In the ACDA, you have to do waltz, two-step, either WCS or ECS, and then choose from triple two, polka, cha cha or night club for your other two. (I think--I'm so used to doing all eight and not having to worry about it!)
SuzieQ,
Sorry, I was not clear in my explaination. You still have to attend 3 competitions to qualify for Worlds. At 2 of them you still have to do the 5 dances as you describe above (Waltz, Two-Step, WC or EC, and 2 of Tri-Two, Polka, NC, or Cha). However; at 1 of the 3, you only have to perform one dance. From what my coaches have said this year, it can be any of the 8 dances. Since I'm so new to this, for me I would still do as many as I can unless sick or something else. I need all the floor time I can get.

T57

Dance Ads