Would you convert?

#64
I have an indian girlfriend that for a few reasons don't eat meat/fish. I normally convert temporarily to being vegetarian and experiment with veggie dishes when i am around her or we travel together. Agree that travelling with someone for more than say 2 days, would be a pain, if both of you are not open to explore new things. On a longer term, i don't think i would do it.
 

Medira

New Member
#65
I know for a fact I couldn't do the vegetarian thing. It just wouldn't work for me. I love vegetables and fruits and such, but I also love my meat. I couldn't give it up...
 

Twilight_Elena

Well-Known Member
#66
fascination said:
stop that
Oh shush. :p I'm not starving, I just unintentionally skip meals. Which is not good, you'll argue. But some days I can be at my studio dancing my pants out having had a banana and some toast, whereas other days I am not burning any calories (just sitting around) and my body screams for food. So I consider things are even.

T_E
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#67
ahem...you were dizzy ..that is a blood sugar issue missy...prolly hypoglcemic...need to eat a morsel every couple of hours ....listen to old women...btdt....end of nag
 

HF

New Member
#68
AzureDreamer said:
As a warning... its VERY difficult to get the right balance of nutrition as a vegetarian.
Haha.
This reminds me of some funny stories. As I said I am experienced to a vegetarian SO for more than 20 years - not being one myself. Side note: We never had problems to find food in a restaurant.

My parents have constantly been concerned since 20 years that my gf would become seriously ill due to vegetarism. And their absolutely worst dream would be if I stopped to eat meat. On nearly every visit they try to convince her, cheat on her (oh, meat, no, there is no meat in the food ... err, just a little in the sauce. You HAVE to eat meat, girl, or you will get ill! Your teeth will fall out and your bones will break).

In reality both the cholesterine values of my gf and me are optimal while both of my parents had to undergo heart surgery because of blocked arteria. This WILL happen if one eats meat (especially pork meat) on a daily base. :raisebro:

About the three mentioned reasons why to eventually become a vegetarian ... the care for animals as living and feeling beings would be by far the most convincing argument for me. I take it for granted that most reasonable people would be animal rights activists if we all would not be too lazy.:raisebro:
 
#69
Twilight_Elena said:
Oh shush. :p I'm not starving, I just unintentionally skip meals. Which is not good, you'll argue. But some days I can be at my studio dancing my pants out having had a banana and some toast, whereas other days I am not burning any calories (just sitting around) and my body screams for food. So I consider things are even.

T_E
Don't worry! I'm just like you! I can go without any food like today, but other times I'll eat whole dishes lol! I'm just not a very big eater. It's not that I'm picky about what I eat, but that I just don't eat that much to begin with. ;)
 
#70
You have to flip the coin over... would they convert to eating meat for you?

I've cut out a lot of bad food just because after I'm tired and sweaty and ravenous after two or even four hours of repetitive dancing practice, I don't want something huge, heavy, and greasy. French fries gag me now, unless they're really darned good ones. We've been living off of Subway, various wraps and salads at restaurants, and at home, I snack on little stuff. I don't even have a chunk of pound cake in my fridge any more. I just don't LIKE "the bad stuff". It's been a by-product of a lifestyle change.

Dancing itself changes you if you let it. You shouldn't let people change you, however.
 
#71
In reality both the cholesterine values of my gf and me are optimal while both of my parents had to undergo heart surgery because of blocked arteria. This WILL happen if one eats meat (especially pork meat) on a daily base.
Blood cholesterol levels (which lead to the problem you describe) are mainly dependent on dietary fat, in particular trans fatty acids are really bad. Your biggest problem items are things like snack foods, prepared baked goods, processed foods, margarine, french fries, onion rings. That whole list is all stuff that is "vegetarian".

You might want to moderate the amount of pork you eat (which can be said of practically anything, moderate consumption patterns are significantly healther than the extremes)... but animal fat is "saturated", which is a lot less bad. For the purpose of reducing heart problems cut out the amount of pork in your diet is not the most effective thing. You do want to be moderate in your consumption of saturated fats, but avoiding deep fried food is going to be a lot more important.

(edited to be less confrontational)
 
#72
AzureDreamer said:
sorry, but you haven't got a clue.
AzureDreamer, please don't say things like this. I'm not a moderator, so I'm just asking as a fellow DFer. But I know from experience that the tone of an online discussion group is a fragile thing and can easily deteriorate if a very high standard of respect and consideration for fellow posters is not maintained. The "culture" of DF to this point, in my experience, provides plenty of opportunity for people to express different opinons and ideas and to disagree, but we all have to work together to keep that atmosphere free of dismissive or insulting comments directed at one another.

BTW, there may be another kind of cultural distinction in the original reference to not eating pork every day. In the US, it's very common to recommend avoiding or cutting down on eating beef to avoid too much saturated fat; "beef" used as a kind of shorthand for avoiding meats with saturated fat because beef is the most common meat eaten here. If pork is a more frequently eaten meat in another country, it might have the same "shorthand" status. Anyhow, that's how I took the original reference.
 
#73
I'm no doctor, therefore I won't offer medical or dietary advice. Just as sure as I find one thing to be proven fact beyond the shadow of a doubt, they change it and say it's healthy the next day.

Still waiting on baked potatoes with extra butter and just a dab of ranch dressing, with extra pepper to be healthy. *checks watch, sniffles back a tear*.
 
#74
PasoDancer said:
Still waiting on baked potatoes with extra butter and just a dab of ranch dressing, with extra pepper to be healthy. *checks watch, sniffles back a tear*.
Well, potatoes have a lot of potassium, which is important for a healthy heart, and if the butter is your main source of saturated fat for the day, then I'd say it IS healthy!
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#75
PasoDancer said:
I'm no doctor, therefore I won't offer medical or dietary advice. Just as sure as I find one thing to be proven fact beyond the shadow of a doubt, they change it and say it's healthy the next day.

Still waiting on baked potatoes with extra butter and just a dab of ranch dressing, with extra pepper to be healthy. *checks watch, sniffles back a tear*.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO with you sister...but I keep remebering that the last ime I had one was 35 pounds ago ...and THAT makes me smile
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#76
waltzgirl said:
Well, potatoes have a lot of potassium, which is important for a healthy heart, and if the butter is your main source of saturated fat for the day, then I'd say it IS healthy!
a juicy rationalization that will get us in BIG trouble
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#77
waltzgirl said:
AzureDreamer, please don't say things like this. I'm not a moderator, so I'm just asking as a fellow DFer. But I know from experience that the tone of an online discussion group is a fragile thing and can easily deteriorate if a very high standard of respect and consideration for fellow posters is not maintained. The "culture" of DF to this point, in my experience, provides plenty of opportunity for people to express different opinons and ideas and to disagree, but we all have to work together to keep that atmosphere free of dismissive or insulting comments directed at one another.

.
okey dokey..I am a mod but not on this board...but let me just say that in general on threads where people feel very strongly especially about things like diet, folks need to bear tone in mind and this is not at all directed at any one person as i believe azure dreamer was actually responding to another equally strident post, which I myself considered asking the poster to temper...so we all need to keep our views in perspective and review them for tone...this has cropped up on other boards lately as well but yes, in general, I think DF is distinct in its level of civility...but no one likes to be called out onto the carpet specifically...its just human nature to rebel against it IMO
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#78
When on Weight Watchers, one can have both potatoes and butter in moderate portion sizes. Okay ... minute portion sizes. :lol: But one can still have almost anything to eat. :)
 

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
#79
yeah well...hmmm...I dont know anyone who loves potatoes and butter who can do just a little of them...it aint that kinda grub, dig?
 
#80
PasoDancer said:
You have to flip the coin over... would they convert to eating meat for you?
Wow! I'm impressed. What a way to win an argument, or to try to compromise an argument that is anyhow. I never even thought of that. Good point! ;)
 

Dance Ads