Writers on Dance and Music Wanted - Non-profit thus far

lyw

New Member
#3
thanks for the support

Hello,

My Tango page is developing nicely. Thank you for the tip. I may have to try the dance myself. I also put up a link to your site in my articles and comments section of the main Dance and Music page.

Thanks for this site's use. It's very well organized.

Sincerely,

Lil
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#5
lyw said:
I put another link in my Latin International page. I particularly liked the lengthy 'ruining' salsa discussion.
Hi lyw, and welcome to the forums!

Glad you liked that thread -- its an issue that I think deserves more consideration then its commonly given.

--Jonathan
 

lyw

New Member
#6
Salsa research

Hey, Jonathan,

I took a look at your site and think perhaps you might be able to help me with some research i've been doing for an article I plan to publish on the migration of salsa into Toronto. I may also have a fabulous contact for you once i get her to agree to publish online. She did her final thesis for her MA in Anthropology on salsa. Still waiting for her reply.

(BTW - i did see Shall we dance and loved it! Heard a rumour Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez are planning a remake!!)

Do you know a lot about the Toronto Salsa scene? My searches have resulted much the same as when i was searching for Toronto Salsa Links for my site. There are lots of sites for Toronto salsa but they all tend to lead to the same sources making me feel that I am getting a very biased version of what this 'scene' is all about. I don't mind some biases as long as i get them coming from lots of different sides.

This article is my guinea pig. If it goes well I want to invite all my international links to submit similar articles on the local histories of their favourite dance or music. Salsa is one of those few things that crosses all boundaries. I myself feel that Toronto's salsa history in just the past two years has been worthy of writing about, but I want to go further back. To the beginning, when there wasn't any hype.

What do you think?
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#7
Re: Salsa research

lyw said:
Hey, Jonathan,

I took a look at your site and think perhaps you might be able to help me with some research i've been doing for an article I plan to publish on the migration of salsa into Toronto.
Hi again lyw,

Unfortunately this is just a brief response, as I need to finish packing and getting ready to head up to the Emerald Ball (in LA) first thing in the morning. I’d be happy to help out in any way I can, but historical material is neither the focus of my own research nor my forte.

lyw said:
I may also have a fabulous contact for you once i get her to agree to publish online. She did her final thesis for her MA in Anthropology on salsa. Still waiting for her reply.
That would be great if it pans out. Thanks for the thought.

lyw said:
(BTW - i did see Shall we dance and loved it! Heard a rumour Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez are planning a remake!!)
This is not just a rumor – its true. In fact much of the movie will be shot in Toronto and Miramax had a crew at the Can-Am last weekend scouting possible dancers and getting a feel for what the competitive venue and environment are like. Another tidbit that may be of interest is that Vibeke Toft is the choreography director (FYI, she and the producer were both supposed to come to the Can-Am but their flight was canceled because of the whole SARS scare fiasco instigated by the WHO)

lyw said:
Do you know a lot about the Toronto Salsa scene? My searches have resulted much the same as when i was searching for Toronto Salsa Links for my site. There are lots of sites for Toronto salsa but they all tend to lead to the same sources making me feel that I am getting a very biased version of what this 'scene' is all about. I don't mind some biases as long as i get them coming from lots of different sides.
Unfortunately I don’t know the Toronto salsa scene that well, although my own dance experience started there, on a Tuesday night at “Berlin.” I was actually just there again last week, but its recently been renamed “Manhattan.” They’ve also remodeled a bit and, at least in my mind, it’s a welcome change – a little less seedy of a vibe.

Someone who you should probably be in touch with though is Josie Neglia, who was a dance major at the U of T and got her salsa start, back in the day, at Berlin as well. (Her website, if you don’t have it, is www.latindance.com/index.htm )

lyw said:
This article is my guinea pig. If it goes well I want to invite all my international links to submit similar articles on the local histories of their favourite dance or music. Salsa is one of those few things that crosses all boundaries. I myself feel that Toronto's salsa history in just the past two years has been worthy of writing about, but I want to go further back. To the beginning, when there wasn't any hype.

What do you think?
I think this sounds like a promising project and an important resource for future dancers. If you ever need information on the history of the San Diego scene I know who to put you in touch with and I also have spoken with a guy who was doing his MA on the evolution of LA salsa who would also be a good contributor for you.

If there’s anything else I can do to facilitate please do not hesitate to let me know…

– Jonathan
 

lyw

New Member
#8
Sensuous Politics: Salsa as Culture Critique

Hey, Jonathon!

I heard back from that friend who did her MA on salsa and she has agreed to have it posted online.

It's an incredible body of work. I'm curious to see how dancers and curious visitors will take that much academia but I tell you -- academia never looked that sexy -- not when I was there, anyway! :D I analyze. So I love it. If I don't analyze there is no love. I told her that it even reads like a salsa -- it has a gradual build into this crescendo of accents and hits. The intro is a little slow because she has to lay down the roots of her terminology.

Take a look, take a look! Tell me what you think!

http://www.thisbusinessofdanceandmusic.com/SP - Sensuous Politics.htm

Also, the history is going very well. It's turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm digging up all this controversary and feel like I'm Buddha in the eye of a storm. I picked the best time to do this. Toronto is apparently having its first salsa congress which will become an annual event.

http://www.canadasalsacongress.com/

the site is taking some downtime this morning but I'm sure it'll be up again soon.

I'm hoping if the polished result is as favourable as I think it will be -- perhaps you might be interested in helping me find a writer for your San Diego scene. It's not just a boring history of dates and events. Tracing the history is a way of seeing how the hell salsa got into such a cold clime as mine and where we think we might be going. On so many levels, too. As a social phenomenon, culture, politics, sport, etc., etc.,

blahablhablah

tell me what you think.

sincerely,
lyw
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#9
Heya lyw :D

I'm actually off to Europe later today so, as you can well imagine, I am swamped! I’ll actually be out of the U.S. through June so my forthcoming communications are likely to be sparse, at best, for the next six weeks.

Regarding that M.A. thesis, I have actually come across this thesis before and, on the whole, thing it does, indeed, capture much of the salsa "culture." If I remember correctly, I think that some elements were somewhat overstated but it has been some time since I’ve seen it (I think it was two-three years ago, when I was preparing my dissertation proposal). When I'm back in San Diego I'll look it over again and be in touch with you.

Hey! I just looked at the salsa congress site – I danced with her, (Jennifer Aucoin) at Manhattan (the recent re-name of Berlin), when I was up in Toronto last month! She was a pleasure to dance with…although a bit hard to actually get a dance from!

lyw said:
On so many levels, too. As a social phenomenon, culture, politics, sport, etc., etc.,
Exactly! All of these dynamics and facets – as well as the ongoing interaction and feedback between them – are exactly the complexities that are at the heart of my own research.

I will, of course, be more then happy to help you find a writer/writers for the San Diego scene if that ends up being of interest.

Best wishes always…and keep dancing!

--Jonathan
 

Dance Ads