Yale 2006

Anna

I just got this from the Yale captain:

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Hi Teams,[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Sorry if some of you received this information twice. Most of the messages I sent out to a private list yesterday bounced back, so I'm afraid I had to resort to this list to get this information out.[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Many of you have been asking about the state of Yale's competition this year. Unfortunately, our usual location cancelled our reservation last week. However, we're making considerable progress in relocating the competition.[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']We are still planning on hosting the competition on December 2nd. Our competition coordinator will send out the formal notification on registration, etc early next week. Registration and the competition website will be open at the start of next week as well. Registration will cost $25 per person and we will be offering a discounted team rate again. [/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Please bear with us as the location will probably stay TBA for another week or two. However, the location will be in or near New Haven, CT if you need to make travel arrangements.[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Thank you all for your patience,[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Megan Danna[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Captain[/FONT]
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Yale Ballroom Dance Team[/FONT]

Princeton always goes to Yale (it's nice and close and runs pretty smoothly). Are any other DFers going?

NielsenE

I was really saddened to hear that Yale lost their venue as it was one of the nicest gyms I've seen among the colleges. Bright, clean, new, etc.

Please, please, please tell us you're not going to be back in the church basement with quiet hours again

Anna

Yeah, it was really nice, big, bright, and plenty of warmup space! Larger changing rooms would be convenient, though.

And without a snowflake in sight!

not another word about snow out of you.... that was probly the worst ride to a competition last year (of course my ride waited until we were sliding around in the snow to let us know that he has rear wheel drive and his car is terrible in the snow :shock:).

NielsenE

About 2-3 times during the competition (when mass was in session upstairs), they had to have no cheering times, along with playing the music at a "quiet level" -- (ie a comfortable level :) )

Unfortunately the second year they did this the quiet hour coincided with the team match -- it was interesting watching the teams try to come up with ways to cheer without screaming :)

Anna

I'm not from Yale, but they said they'll be sending out a formal email about registration and opening registration early next week... I'd really like to know about their venue though.

Meagan

Yeah I can't imagine too many people are going to want to register when an exact place hasn't been set...I hope they announce something soon!!

Meagan

Just got this email about registration being up and the date change...

Hello Dancers!

I am sorry for the late announcement about our competition this year. The competition will now be held on SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3RD. Please mark your calendars and register at
http://www.ballroomregistrar.com/register/Yale06/.
We will soon have our new and improved website up, on which we we have a PayPal option for easy payment. There was a mistake in the last email. Our fee will be $30 per person and a discounted $750 team rate.

We look forward to seeing you all on December 3rd!

Anna

We're still planning to go...presumably if they changed the date they have a place to hold the competition but I'd be interested to know what it is. Also $750 is a pretty sweet deal! I wonder if it is for unlimited size teams?

Meagan

I would imagine it would have to be for unlimited size...otherwise it wouldn't really be that much of a deal right (I mean you have to have over 25 to make it a deal to begin with...)

Talked to one of the organizers and they should be announcing the venue early next week. At least on par with past years if not significantly better so no worries ;) YAY!

I've heard it through the grapevine that the Yale Comp WILL take place on December the 3rd, and it will be held in the BEAUTIFUL Grand Ballroom of the New Haven Lawn Club (which is practically on campus as it is surrounded by Yale buildings). Think gorgeous hardwood floor, crystal chandeliers, French windows, etc. A REAL ballroom! :)

NielsenE

I was asked by Yale to make several changes to the registration site. The registration site doesn't completely correspond to the competition's website at present. I'm assuming that they'll be updating their site to match their request shortly.

I've sent an email to all registered competitors, but in case a few of them go astray, I'm including the gist of the changes here.

Open Latin has been split from a 5-dance to a 4-dance and a one-dance (Paso). All competitors registered for the 5-dance are now registered for both events. If you wish to drop paso (or the 4-dance :) ) simply log in to make the change.

The combined Advanced/Open american style events have been split to separate Advanced and Open events. The Open events are the normal 4-dance smooth, and 5-dance rhthm. The Advanced events are now a 3- and a 4-dance respectively. All competitors previously registered for "Advanced/Open" are now registered for BOTH advanced and open. If you weren't also registered for the "missing' 1-dance in the Syllabus level, you've been added there as well.

Yale has indicated to me that they will allow double registration only for these events, so you do not need to drop anything. However if you want to drop either the advanced or open as appropriate, please log-in to the registration site and make the change.

If you have any trouble fine-tuning your registration from this point, please let me know and I'll take care of it for you.

The registration deadline has also apparently changed, and my site reflects that, while their site does not.

Dance Ads