You Know you are Addicted to Dancing when...

raindance

You get angry when the studio adds four more group classes, smack in the middle of "your" weekend practice time. Aka, the only time there is enough floor space to really work. Sigh. Maybe no one will show and the classes won't run.

I need an alcoholic beverage.
Or a break??? Coach out of town or has scheduling conflicts coming up, studio less available for practice, and you were feeling burned out. So maybe this is your chance for a bit of a break. ;)

FancyFeet

I'm more on the 'well, if I can't do it with your support, I'll just got it alone' end of the spectrum. With the studio now booked out for groups from 9:30-3 and 6-8 on Sat, I'm giving serious consideration to 7am.

I'm more on the 'well, if I can't do it with your support, I'll just got it alone' end of the spectrum. With the studio now booked out for groups from 9:30-3 and 6-8 on Sat, I'm giving serious consideration to 7am.
My dad used to drag his butt out of bed for golf that early on Saturday mornings (he is NOT a morning person) so I have faith you can do it! Granted, you may end up napping while watching sports on TV in the afternoon like he did.

JoeB

In my Aikido training, we would take a "head long" fall by extending one arm out to blend with the ground so that we could go into a shoulder roll. One day when I had finished emptying the back of a pick up into a trash bin, I jumped down to the ground. My pants leg got snagged on something and suddenly I was heading head-down onto the asphalt. Without panicking, without even having to think (which is probably why I didn't panic), I extended my arm, blended with the ground, and went into a shoulder roll that ended with me popping upright onto my feet.
We have a big Astroturf section in the showroom at work that sometimes gets kinked or a corner turned. I lost my balance leaning down too fast to straighten it one day and realized what I'd done when I was about halfway through the roll. Considering it's on concrete, that would have really hurt since I would have fallen pretty much right on top of my head.

One of my coworkers who took BJJ for a while complimented me on my form.

As for dancing addiction, when grandma was dying in the hospital, she asked if some of the wires and IVs could be unhooked long enough for one last waltz. When they told her granddad would pretty much have to carry her, she asked if they could do it "after it doesn't matter anymore." Unfortunately, granddad was in no condition to even stand, much less dance when it got to that point.

MaggieMoves

When you wear your black practice dresses out dancing... Pretty much all the time because nothing works better, and you don't need to worry about flashing out mooning people. :D

I usually wear something like this:

JoeB

Your walking though a store with your wife and you hear a song and look at each other and say, you could dance the Rumba to this. And then you proceed to dance some Rumba steps right there in the aisle and you don't care what people think.
Try teaching a random carhop foxtrot basics because Sonic has really good background music one night and you've got nobody else to dance with.

RiseNFall

My almost floor-to-ceiling mirror is in the upstairs hallway... right at the top of the stairs. I'm very careful when I use it. There's plenty of space as long as I remember where I am. o_O

cornutt

As for dancing addiction, when grandma was dying in the hospital, she asked if some of the wires and IVs could be unhooked long enough for one last waltz. When they told her granddad would pretty much have to carry her, she asked if they could do it "after it doesn't matter anymore." Unfortunately, granddad was in no condition to even stand, much less dance when it got to that point.
Some years ago the oldest daughter of a couple that we're friends with had stage 4 ovarian cancer. We went to visit her in the hospital. She knows we're dancers -- I had shown her the waltz basic while she was in high school. She had been living away from home before her cancer was diagnosed, and I wasn't aware of this, but apparently she had been doing a lot of dancing. Anyway, she wanted me to dance WCS with her. This was a cancer patient who could barely talk or move her limbs. Her family helped her get her feel on the floor and stand. She had wires and IV tubes and stuff trailing behind her. Nobody had any music so I just counted it. I took her hand and started a sugar push, and all of a sudden she was a dancer again. We did sugar pushes and left side passes, which was about all we could do on account of all of the stuff attached to her. Her hair was gone, her body was bloated, she could barely talk, but she was balanced on her feet and she danced very well, considering. After about five minutes, she was winded, so we hugged and then her mom helped me put her back in bed.

I told her I'd come back tomorrow afternoon and I'd bring some music with me. But I didn't get the chance. She died the next morning. I did and still do feel privileged that I was her last dance partner.

Dance Ads