Your 2010 AT resolutions?

Angel HI

Continue to be a good person; better my AT dancing/teaching; spend even more quality time w/ my daughter.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Everyone!

Ampster

As far as Argentine Tango goes:

1. Keep improving my AT technique to achieve that all illusive "Sublime" level
  2. Be a halfway decent lead
  3. Try to write more (relevant) blog posts

In January I am going back to class for my Spanish (have been studying for a while already, but I think I need some structure).
Also, this year I started Capoeira as a cross training activity, and it turned to be extremely helpful for Tango (all being great for conditioning and super fun). So next year I plan to dedicate more time to that.
I know I have to step up in my learning about music, but so far I have not come up with a concrete plan. No time for formal music lessons or practicing the instrument. I would like to take voice lessons if I had more time.

My New Year's resolution is to practise for one hour EVERY day by dancing alone to my favorite Tango music. (I'm timing my practise starting today.) I've written out the katas (sequences) that I want to learn (execute smoothly without thinking) and will use any study time in creating new routines...Most of the dance practise will be free flow improvisation to the music with the desired routines thrown in here and there. I can't find a practise partner (have given up) so, this is the next best thing. It actually works...try it and you'll see what I mean!
P.S.
If someone wants to acquire fluent Spanish, the next step is to stop talking about it in English..stop translating. The best thing one can do is look/listen to real Spanish broadcasts (news, telenovelas) and podcasts (can be replayed) totaly in Spanish. Listen to the sound changes only..do NOT try to translate...understanding will come if you have already put in a year of 'study'. Listening for one hour a day (religiously) will do it for you. If your attention wanders, pretend that you are the one doing the talking as you listen...or silently mouth the sylable changes as they occur...only listen to sylable changes..do not think! (because your 'thinking' will be in English)..being able to step out of your English comfort zone and stand alone in the discomfort of the foreign language is THE task..that is why 'classes' don't work...they either speak English during the class or the 'conversation' is not authentic, real communication...the language has to be secondary to the 'message'. The message has got to be real, meaningful, interesting communication. We as humans acquire and handle language naturally...once you take the 'teacher' out of the equation. This paragraph can save you two years of ineffective 'classroom' and home study. Also, Pimsler tapes and Rosetta stone courses do not work...not authentic language..that's who/how we are as humans..we are wired for acquiring language if it is used in real situations. Language is spontaneous and does not need to be 'remembered' if the comprehension is fluent. Work on your comprehension the rest will be there when you need it.

Not to make one. That way, the same rez doesn't get regurgitated come 31/12/2011. It's almost 20 years old and even the gods are beginnng to roll their eyes...yawwwwnn :rolleyes:

bordertangoman

Not to make one. That way, the same rez doesn't get regurgitated come 31/12/2011. It's almost 20 years old and even the gods are beginnng to roll their eyes...yawwwwnn :rolleyes:
ut isnt that a paradox? if your resolution is not to make one then if you dont make one, the you have made one. I think we need a Red Queen and a bit of Looking Glass logic; cease to strive to become a better dancer, relax and you will improve. to this end I'm going to learn Blues Dancing which should help my AT no end.

The way I've worked it out is that you should only make "To-Do" type resolutions, rather than "be a better person" stuff. Things you can actually achieve.

So you can look back in (say) 6 months and say "Have I done / started this yet", and if not, that's a reminder.

It's a theory...

The way I've worked it out is that you should only make "To-Do" type resolutions, rather than "be a better person" stuff. Things you can actually achieve.

So you can look back in (say) 6 months and say "Have I done / started this yet", and if not, that's a reminder.

It's a theory...
Ah, but striving to be a better person is something that is achievable, no? Much easier than one thinks and to make that a priority for 2011 beats all others.

My New Year's resolution is to practise for one hour EVERY day by dancing alone to my favorite Tango music. (I'm timing my practise starting today.) I've written out the katas (sequences) that I want to learn (execute smoothly without thinking) and will use any study time in creating new routines...Most of the dance practise will be free flow improvisation to the music with the desired routines thrown in here and there. I can't find a practise partner (have given up) so, this is the next best thing. It actually works...try it and you'll see what I mean!
P.S.
If someone wants to acquire fluent Spanish, the next step is to stop talking about it in English..stop translating. The best thing one can do is look/listen to real Spanish broadcasts (news, telenovelas) and podcasts (can be replayed) totaly in Spanish. Listen to the sound changes only..do NOT try to translate...understanding will come if you have already put in a year of 'study'. Listening for one hour a day (religiously) will do it for you. If your attention wanders, pretend that you are the one doing the talking as you listen...or silently mouth the sylable changes as they occur...only listen to sylable changes..do not think! (because your 'thinking' will be in English)..being able to step out of your English comfort zone and stand alone in the discomfort of the foreign language is THE task..that is why 'classes' don't work...they either speak English during the class or the 'conversation' is not authentic, real communication...the language has to be secondary to the 'message'. The message has got to be real, meaningful, interesting communication. We as humans acquire and handle language naturally...once you take the 'teacher' out of the equation. This paragraph can save you two years of ineffective 'classroom' and home study. Also, Pimsler tapes and Rosetta stone courses do not work...not authentic language..that's who/how we are as humans..we are wired for acquiring language if it is used in real situations. Language is spontaneous and does not need to be 'remembered' if the comprehension is fluent. Work on your comprehension the rest will be there when you need it.
This advice, however sound for certain cases and, I am sure, well-intended, is based on many assumptions. None of them is right in my situation, for example.
In general, I believe, while giving advice, it is not a good idea to assume. It is easy to inadvertently end up talking down to people that is usually not received very well.

Hmmmm.

To be honest I don't really understand this. Perhaps I first need to start working on my English comprehension... :D

Zoopsia59

It's a theory...
I think there are both parts to resolutions.
Goals and Tasks.

The goal is NOT the to-do stuff... its the end result you want in a given category. Goals have to be measurable. You have to have a way of determining that the goal has or hasn't been met.

The Tasks are how you get there.

You can't reach a goal without the task list, but what's the point of having tasks with no goal in mind? Then its just drudgery.

For instance, having a goal of "lose weight" is not specific enough and its not really the goal anyway... someone who wants to lose weight wants to because of some reason. Losing weight is actually a task to help with that deeper goal, whether it be "be healthier" or "feel better about my appearance" or whatever. So if the goal is "be healthier", then one can pinpoint what being healthier means and what it would take to achieve a measurable improvement in health.

"Be a better person" is a reasonable goal if you can define what that means. What makes you a person that isn't better? What areas of your life are areas where you think you fail to be a better person? What do you need to do differently day by day to feel you are a better person? What specific actions will make a difference?

"Be a better person" IS a goal, but its not a task. "Really listen when my partner talks about her day" is a task, but in order to do it consistently and make it a habit, there has to be a reason - a larger goal - in mind.

The tasks help you achieve the goal, and defining the results of achieving the goal help you know whether you are successful. So you need to examine all three.

The Goal
What Constitutes Success (ie: resulting life changes)
The Path to get there (the to do list of practical steps and their time frames)

dchester

Staff member
I think there are both parts to resolutions.
Goals and Tasks.

The goal is NOT the to-do stuff... its the end result you want in a given category. Goals have to be measurable. You have to have a way of determining that the goal has or hasn't been met.

The Tasks are how you get there.

You can't reach a goal without the task list, but what's the point of having tasks with no goal in mind? Then its just drudgery.

For instance, having a goal of "lose weight" is not specific enough and its not really the goal anyway... someone who wants to lose weight wants to because of some reason. Losing weight is actually a task to help with that deeper goal, whether it be "be healthier" or "feel better about my appearance" or whatever. So if the goal is "be healthier", then one can pinpoint what being healthier means and what it would take to achieve a measurable improvement in health.
So if the goal was to lose 10 pounds, wouldn't that be specific and measurable? Couldn't the tasks to accomplish this goal be to exercise and diet?

Zoopsia59

The Goal
What Constitutes Success (ie: resulting life changes)
The Path to get there (the to do list of practical steps and their time frames)
So in response to my own theory, as regarding AT...

"Improve my dancing" is too vague on its own. And its pretty silly as a goal, because unless I just stop dancing completely, chances are I'm going to improve with or without conscious effort. (Of course, the AMOUNT of improvement might vary quite a bit.;))

So my goal would be "Feel more joy in dancing."

What constitutes success?
I leave milongas feeling good about my experience and wishing I could dance all night a certain percentage of the time and less often I leave feeling frustrated or depressed. At the moment its about half and half... I'd say a realistic thing for me to shoot for over a period of time (to be determined) is 75/25%

Of course to get beyond this point I have to figure out WHY I leave unhappy sometimes vs when I feel good.
Reasons for being unhappy might be:

Dissatisfied with my own dancing
Physical problems causing pain or reduced ability
Spent too much of the night sitting, not getting asked to dance.
Wishing for a higher level of partners.
Hearing a student has switched to another teacher
Arguing/ conflict with my partner while dancing, or partner unwilling to go.

There are specific things I can do to reduce the likelyhood and/or impact of these situations and create the experience that I see as desirable. Figuring out the task list means deciding one or two which bother me most (or conversely, make me the happiest if you work the list from the other side) and addressing them, plus figuring out one or two which are probably the easiest to achieve and addressing a few of those too in order to get things rolling positively. Attacking all these issues equally right at the start will make it harder to address ANY effectively.

So that's how I try to go about my goal setting for the coming year. Its not a quick process as I have to do this for a number of areas of life. But each area I chose to do this with is also the result of trying to imagine an overall picture and what areas of my life will play the biggest part in making that scenario a reality.

I figure I'm worth the time it takes to do this process periodically, and New Years is as good a time as any. :D

Zoopsia59

So if the goal was to lose 10 pounds, wouldn't that be specific and measurable? Couldn't the tasks to accomplish this goal be to exercise and diet?
I guess what I'm saying is that the goal addresses the WHY.

WHY do you want to lose 10 pounds? What's that going to do for you? How will it improve your life? That improvement is the real goal, not the weight loss. Otherwise, what's the point of bothering to lose weight?

Losing a certain amount of weight might be part of the measurable portion of working towards the WHY goal, and the specific things one does to lose the weight would be on the task list. But losing weight is never the true goal... maybe the reason people have so much trouble sticking to weight loss plans and maintaining their motivation is because they are using a number on the scale as the goal. I think that achieving the larger WHY goal probably is going to require more than just a specific pound reduction and that "success" may need a few more parameters than just that number.

(I'm guessing on this one because I have never had to deal with the struggle of major weight loss... but I've had other struggles of my own where its easy to focus on the wrong thing)

I also think a goal needs to be a positive statement rather than a negative one. "Be healthier" is a positive goal. "Not be fat" is a negative one. In other words define the goal by what you want to be, not what you don't want to be. (not saying anything about YOU and fat... I'm just extrapolating on your question as an example)

Dance Ads