Your Bucket List

Zhena

DH and I just came back from a trip that involved two days driving to get there and the same back, so we had a lot of time to chat ... one of the subjects being our bucket lists. We approached it from the angle of places we'd like to visit, including what it is that makes a place merit inclusion on the list.

DH wants to see places that are like no others in the world. His list includes places like Egypt, Angkor Wat, the Amazon, Machu Picchu, the Great Barrier Reef, etc. I'm interested in the people who lived in special places and why they made them that way. So our lists have some of the same places (which is a good thing if we're going to travel together;)).

We also like to be able to say "not many people have" ... danced a tango to a string quartet on a beach at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ... heard whales singing while on a night dive in Hawaii ... seen St. Mark's in Venice when it was empty except for our tour group of a dozen people ... taken a train trip that involved going to two different passport/visa offices at 2 a.m. at a stop in the middle of nowhere on the Turkish border ... etc. These experiences are just a little off the beaten path -- not dangerous or extreme, but not always standard tourist fare.

But in addition to visiting other places, I have a bucket list item that can be done right here at home. I want to attend a formal ball. I want to have an evening of dancing with friends in elegant attire in a beautiful ballroom. It may take me a year or two to pull it together, but I think I can do it. It should be much simpler than arranging a wedding, because all that matters is the location (including dance floor), the catering, the music and the decorations (plus of course the guest list). I have a venue in mind ... I think it might really be possible ...

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have toyed with your last item as well..dh and I will be married 25 years next year and I would love to do something like that...I doubt we have enough friends, particularly dancing friends, to pull it off but I would love to do it....

Zhena

I have toyed with your last item as well..dh and I will be married 25 years next year and I would love to do something like that...I doubt we have enough friends, particularly dancing friends, to pull it off but I would love to do it....
Oh .... yeah. I counted up the people who I would like to invite and it's maybe 8-10 couples, not quite enough for the right effect (and most of them are folk dancers). But our 35th anniversary isn't for three years, so I have time to make new friends before then!

Or maybe I could arrange for "extras" like on a movie set. I'm sure there are people who would agree to dance in exchange for a free meal! Are there any DF volunteers?

Dancing bucket list:
-watch Finnish tango at the Tangomarkkinat
-dance (Senior category) at Blackpool (doesn't matter how badly I get creamed, just to be on the Empress Ballroom floor)
-Fasching in Vienna
-watch the World Formation Standard Championship

pygmalion

*feeling like a poser but doing it anyway*
*bump*

Still thinking about my list. Had a great list, but life kinda syphoned off all my mental resources for a while there.

Short list available at the moment, but I know there are many more.

Take a leap of faith
Drive a red, high-powered sports car on the Autobahn
become fluent in a second language
Visit Easter Island
Help women in crisis somewhere in the world
Write a book
Die at peace with myself and my major life's decisions
Finish reading every Shakespeare play and sonnet (this has been on my list too long. Why don't I finish already?)
Eat the perfect meal

This is one that I'd have to think about--because I am the spontaneous, in-the-moment sort that has done so many of the things that I've wanted to do. So much so, that moments of solitude and quiet are sometimes the most treasured things for me...

pygmalion

Yeah. The list definitely requires a visit, from time to time. I'm guessing even Jack Nicholson would've had a revision or two, if he'd had longer than three months to live.

pygmalion

I'm having trouble with this too, but dang-blat-it, I refuse to let my recent upheavals set me completely off track. Not to mention the fact that, if my bucket list must be scrapped because of the someones exit from my life, it wasn't a very good list to begin with.

Do-over! :-D

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
hmmm...I guess...for me, I know that my life will be interesting...and I reserve the right to make those decisions as they come...I have enough to-do lists

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm having trouble with this too, but dang-blat-it, I refuse to let my recent upheavals set me completely off track. Not to mention the fact that, if my bucket list must be scrapped because of the someones exit from my life, it wasn't a very good list to begin with.

Do-over! :-D
have I missed how the upheavals do this?...must go back and read

Dance Ads