Your Bucket List

pygmalion

It's funny. Friday, I guess. I was talking to my manager at work about some new product launch or the other, and she said, "Wow, Pyg, you have so many experiences." My response? "That's 'cause I'm old." :lol:

Bucket lists are great, as long as they don't sidetrack you from appreciation of that you have already acomplished. Both my lists -- wishes and accomplishments -- are way long. Yes. There are more things I'd like to do, see, be or have. But I have to send up a prayer of thanks for the things I've already done. And for the people who've helped me do them. :cool:

pygmalion

One of my Irish-American girlfriends did that a few years back. She said it was the best investment she ever made, not just because of seeing the beauty, but because it made her feel grounded and connected to her family.

One of my Irish-American girlfriends did that a few years back. She said it was the best investment she ever made, not just because of seeing the beauty, but because it made her feel grounded and connected to her family.
Thanks. It's why I proudly have my family's Irish name in my user ID! :)

wonderwoman

* Learn to speak French
* Visit Europe (Italy, France, Spain, Greece)
* Run a marathon
* Teach someone to dance
* Have a child
* Learn to play violin
* See the Grand Canyon
* Learn to swim
* Help build a house or school in a 3rd world country
* Sleep on a beach, under the stars, with someone I love
I made a new bucket list last night, on paper, and then remembered that I'd created a thread once, though I had no idea what was on it until looking at it just now. Here's my updated list:

* Learn to swim
* Attempt to surf
* Run a marathon
* Have a baby
* Knit something
* Speak Russian
* Blog
* Cook French food
* Play the violin
* Volunteer
* Go camping
* Land my dream job
* Sunbathe on a nude beach
* See the Northern Lights
* Teach someone to dance

ETA: I typed a long paragraph about why my list includes what it does. Some of it is as simple as I keep saying I'm going to do that and haven't gotten around to yet. Other things have special meaning, but I should be the only one to know. :)

pygmalion

Have you ever read a book (a classic, IMV) called How to Gain (or is it get?) Control of Your Time and Your Life? It's a classic time management book written in (I think) 1971, but still in print, for good reasons, I think. Alan Lakein is the author.

Definitely worth a read, IMV, WRT bucket lists. It talks about why to make them, how to make them, which things really don't belong there,** and how to find time to start getting it done right now. Good stuff, IMV.

** As in, "Am I doing this because I want to, because someone else wants me to, or because I think I should want to?" Only the first category belongs on the list, according to this author.

wonderwoman

I have learned that I have little interest in traveling for pleasure/sightseeing. I would like to LIVE in a different part of the country, but for work, to actually settle there. I guess traveling to Europe was something I thought I was missing, because American 20-something travel to Europe! Meh.

Learning a foreign language is another one of those things we all say we're going to get around to. I want to learn Russian because I like the sound of it, but it's what I hear the most of, after English and Spanish. I have Russian roommates, neighbors and acquaintances. I listen to music with Spanish words but never actually converse with Spanish speakers. If I moved and stopped interacting with people who spoke Russian, I don't know if I'd keep it on the list. I only know four people who speak French, all of them speak English, one speaks Spanish, two speak Russian and one lives in France. I should just learn Spanish but I think it's boring because it's all around and I pick up bits and pieces from music lyrics.

Then too.. I know all these people who speak 3-4 languages. I speak one. It makes me feel somehow inferior. *shrug*

pygmalion

I know you know, sweetheart. I feel the need to affirm and support you. I get that that's about me, not you. Maybe I'm (s)mothering you. If I am, I'm sorry. I do the things I do because I think you're on a tough road and I know from experience that an understanding word can make a huge difference.

mindputtee

*Be fluent in at least 4 languages
*Visit every inhabited continent (Antarctica doesn't count, the researchers aren't really "inhabiting" it)
*Get married
*Have at least one kid
*Make champ standard
*Visit every state in the US (at least pass through them)

Dance Ads