Your song type selection

Ok.. so lets say in general.. u dance 10 songs on average at any given latin venue at any given day.. whats your ideal allocation:

Currently for me, it'd be:

1 salsa son
2 salsa romanticas
2 salsa descargas
2 chachas (1 fast + 1 slow)
2 batchatas (slow)
1 merengue (mad rythm)

MacMoto

My problem is I don't know enough about salsa music genres/subsets to give a list like that... :oops:

Given that I prefer to have tons of salsa and not too many non-salsa songs, I can allow only 1 non-salsa in a set of 10, so it will have to be a cha-cha (unless the venue is short of cha-cha loving leaders, in which case a merengue will have to do).

The rest, I want
3 medium-slow salsa,
4 medium-fast salsa,
2 fast salsa.

A balanced mix of LA- and Cuban-style friendly songs would be good.

Sagitta

For me...

salsa - charanga
merengue -- like Juan Luis Guerra -- as if it ever will happen!!
bachata -- slow -- what else?
cha cha -- the clearer the beat the better as there are so few who know how to dance it and then I have a better chance of dancing with someone
forro y cumbia -- what can I say -- again few dancers for this -- so few that I think I no longer can do it properly -- I just do a modified salsa -- but still I wanna have it.

I have an eclectic taste in afro-cuban music, when I go dancing salsa I love to hear the whole spectrum from mother Son to all of its offspring... However, I do not enjoy the same style for more than a handfull of songs, unless they are rican salsa which I can dance to all night.

Which leads to...
A guajira (1)
a few sons - a slow and a medium one (2,3)
a pachanga (4)
New York Salsa to get the juices flowing (5,6)
a Charanga (7) - There is just something about a good charaga that gets me jumping...
a cha cha (8)
rican salsa to top it off (9,10)
I'll be happy for the rest of the night.

For me, I always want my last dance to be to a rican salsa. I just love to end the night with something like Aquel Viejo Motel by David Pabon.

i'd rather have salsa, mostly medium-tempo. So, in ten songs ... let's say:
1 slow
5 medium
2 fast
and then thrown in some vallenato or merengue or whatever.
I also like it 'balanced': some puerto rican, some cuban,some classic ... (i cand dream!)
Anyway, i dont like when they start playing too many rhythms in a mostly-salsa venue (bachatas AND cumbias AND vallenatos AND ... forró!?? wow!); i mean, if you are going to mix things then better go for it and never play 5 songs in a row in the same rhythm and give playing time to 'non-latin' music.

there are nites I don;t even dance.

When I go to this lil Cafe here in Pasadena every Thursday, I just enjoy the live music played by the band.

But on a dance nite out,

It be great to dance to a few good NY sound songs, some Guajira some cha cha cha and definitely a couple bachata.

Vin

Sagitta said:
For me...

salsa - charanga
merengue -- like Juan Luis Guerra -- as if it ever will happen!!
bachata -- slow -- what else?
cha cha -- the clearer the beat the better as there are so few who know how to dance it and then I have a better chance of dancing with someone
forro y cumbia -- what can I say -- again few dancers for this -- so few that I think I no longer can do it properly -- I just do a modified salsa -- but still I wanna have it.
You know that reminded me, it is not that I dislike Merengue but it doesn't seem as if I have ever heard a really good merengue dj. How often will you here a merengue by Juan Luis Guerra at the club. Lots of the good salsa singers will put out a merengue or two on every album as well and they are often quite good. You never hear those though.
All I ever hear are these techno flavored merengue that are too fast to really enjoy.
Back to topic,
10 songs,
2 Colombian salsa's,
2 New York Salsa's
1 pop salsa(to keep all the newcomers happy)
2 Greats (El Gran Combo,Willie Colon, Celia Cruz, . . . ),
2 GOOD merengues
1 bachata(to rest of course)
Not necessarily in that order.

Vin said:
The other night it dawned to me that this is the very reason why crapy salsa was invented, to get the newbies to notice salsa, I knew there was a reason that junk was invented! We have to slowly teach the kids to walk before they can run... :?

I just wish everyone knew quantum physics before learning to add. :D

Vin

borikensalsero said:
Vin said:
The other night it dawned to me that this is the very reason why crapy salsa was invented, to get the newbies to notice salsa, I knew there was a reason that junk was invented! We have to slowly teach the kids to walk before they can run... :?

I just wish everyone knew quantum physics before learning to add. :D
Fortunately even here in dc there are a couple of djs that are all about the good salsa. This does keep the newcomers away though.

Dance Ads