Your Strong and Weak Points?

Strength - floorcraft/lead
Weaknes - asking strangers to dance (sensitive old me).

At least if you're technically weak but can ask people to dance, you're ahead of me.
Not all weaknesses are created equal.
D-Spot

Vince A

Strength - I like to show off . . . don't care about the technical . . . only the fun of the dance!

Weakness - I like to show off . . . most times, the technical doesn't need to be there, but I'll get you where I want you to go . . . that's the fun of it!

PS . . .
Mapleleaf Salsero said:
Vince, have you ever considered entering a spelling bee contest? I´m sure you´d do great...
MS, I know you were kidding, but for those who don't know me, I'm always, always kidding. I actually write for living, and in High School, won the State Spelling Bee three-years running - cince u brot t'up!

At least if you're technically weak but can ask people to dance, you're ahead of me.
Well, that sounds like me in a nutshell, but I wouldn't say I'm ahead of you!!! :shock: :p

Asking women to dance doesn't bother me much anymore...actually last time I went out dancing I think 3 ladies asked me to dance...almost one right after the other! :D

SG

Vince A

Yea, I don't have a problem at all with asking any lady to dance . . . from rookie to Pro . . . if they are near me, and not dancing, and no one is aksing them to dance, I sure will!

Hello!

I've been enjoying everyone's posts on this forum for a while now and thought it was high time to start participating! This topic has been on my mind anyway, as I've been making an effort to improve my Salsa.

Strong points:
Timing is pretty good. I'm usually able to find the clave, so I can get back on the 1 or 2 or whatever beat when necessary.
Decent frame, thanks to other ballroom dance training.
Spins! After months of practice, I'm finally comfortable with multiples. Doubles and triples? Easy! 4-10 turns? Requires more effort, but I can do it consistently. It's still challenging to keep my balance during 10+ turns, though...
I've been told that I follow and dance very "smoothly" (not sure what that means exactly, but it sounds positive).

Improving points:
Technique is under control (appropriate arm tension for good following most of the time, Cuban/Latin motion is okay, toes are turned out, weight is on inside edge of ball of foot when stepping, small back steps, etc.)
Confidence is growing rapidly because I don't have to think much about execution anymore. Dancing with advanced leaders no longer makes me anxious. Now I just enjoy myself! (On the flip slide, I've been getting nervous looks from beginning-intermediate leaders when we begin dancing...)
Styling and improvising with musicality, playing with timing, and interacting with my partner more. Listening to salsa music every day has helped a lot in this area.

Weak points:
Posture (I have a tendency to drop my chin and sternum).
Stopping multiple turns cleanly - this is really difficult!
Expression of intense concentration on my face with dancing with some leaders for the first time. This is usually caused by the leader being randomly off beat, having a jerky lead, or some other inconsistency that makes me have to concentrate really hard to figure out what they're doing and/or keep my balance! Frankly, I'm not having much fun dancing with these leaders, but I wish I could hide it better for the sake of friendliness...

Hey there, SBSalsera! Be sure to visit the Ballroom Forums too! :wink:

I've had to think about this before replying, but I finally think I know what my strong points and weak points are.

Strong point-I really like dancing with girls!
Weak point-I really like dancing with girls!

Cheers,

Genesius

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Let me add my public welcome as well sbsalsera... and it was great meeting and dancing with you in Reno this past weekend! :D

youngsta

Missed this one, let's see...

Strong Points: Timing, Playfulness, Lead, Ability to Improv, Cuban motion (I ALWAYS get comments on this. A woman I danced with two days ago said she can't help but watch my but/hips when we dance :lol: )

Weak: Spins (my turns are good, once we get into multiple spins I need work!!)

youngsta said:
Missed this one, let's see...

Strong Points: Cuban motion (I ALWAYS get comments on this. A woman I danced with two days ago said she can't help but watch my but/hips when we dance :lol: )
Wow! You must have felt really good after that... :)

Pacion, Genesius, SD, MapleLeaf,

Thank you all for the friendly DF welcome!

SDsalsaguy said:
Let me add my public welcome as well sbsalsera... and it was great meeting and dancing with you in Reno this past weekend! :D
BTW, I can provide independent confirmation of what everyone's been saying: SD is a pleasure to dance with! :D

sbsalsera - Welcome Aboard! 8)

You will find soon as I found there are lots of nice, knowledgable, warm people in this forum , so don't be shy!

Live, Breathe, eat Salsa 24X7!

Man I can't wait to finally relax, have a few drinks, and do some moves this weekend!

*BTW gracias familia :D for all the great input!

youngsta

scorpionguy said:
Are you sure this has to do with Cuban motion?
And more importantly Youngsta, did you manage to get her phone number? :D :ladiesma: :p
:lol: :lol: She's one of the women I dance with regularly...and she's married so no :lol: Pretty sure it's legit though, she isn't the first woman to say it.

Dance Ads