Yuval and Nathalie

Nathalie and Yuval are offering a 3 hour workshop on styling and musicality for intermediate dancers in January for only $35. I'm thinking of going. Question though, am I intermediate? What constitutes that? I guess I assume I am, but like I said I'm feeling more like a beginner than ever. :?

Sagitta

If you call yorself a beginner what am I?!! :? My guess is that the "intermediate" label is so that people know what the basic moves are, have a sense of the rhythmn... This would allow the workshop to focus on making those moves look better, and doing moves because of what the music dictates (musicality), rather then doing moves for the sake of doing moves. Go for it!! :)

suek

SwinginBoo said:
Nathalie and Yuval are offering a 3 hour workshop on styling and musicality for intermediate dancers in January for only $35. I'm thinking of going. Question though, am I intermediate? What constitutes that? I guess I assume I am, but like I said I'm feeling more like a beginner than ever. :?
it's challenging isn't it? the way I deal with this: I look for a detailed descrption of the levels in the workshop flyer/website/etc. If there is no description, I will email the teachers/presenters and describe my experience and ask permission to attend. Sometimes I give teacher references.

not everyone defines intermediate the same way. I find it humbling, if not a little humiliating as well, to go through this process. at the same time, I support structuring classes and workshops so that the teachers can achieve their goals.

I probably will end up calling Nathalie and ask her if I would qualify to attend the workshop. Hopefully she will say yes so that my whole core of beliefs aren't completely shattered.

I just made the call and will be able to register for the workshop. This is good news. It will be like a birthday present to myself since my birthday falls the day before. I'm looking forward to it...now if I could only find some time to practice my swivels! I don't want to go back there without improvement. I feel like it's coming along ssslllooowwwlllyyy, but still I feel the difference. I'm getting used to coming in on 2 and changing my pike. I'm trying to work on isolating the hips from the upper body. Small steps...

SwinginBoo said:
I just made the call and will be able to register for the workshop. This is good news.
You made the call; I know how hard that can be. Pat yourself on the back for that one.
I'm looking forward to it...now if I could only find some time to practice my swivels! I don't want to go back there without improvement.
If I waited for improvement (to my eyes) I would never be able to go back to privates and workshops. I have learned (painfully, I admit) that repetition is part of this process. I'm hearing stuff now that I heard in the beginning. The difference: I understand more now and so I can hear it on a deeper level. DNice and my other repeat teachers aren't always telling me something new--and my notes in my dance journal prove that out--but my place on my learning curve keeps changing and therefore I get more out of the same input as time goes by.
I feel like it's coming along ssslllooowwwlllyyy, but still I feel the difference. I'm getting used to coming in on 2 and changing my pike. I'm trying to work on isolating the hips from the upper body. Small steps...
See? You do see it. Now if we could forgive ourselves for what we don't get and celebrate the small steps. Because I think that this is how we're building our foundation as really good dancers. One little step at a time.

Blessings,

Sue

pygmalion

Ha! I bet you thought this was forgotten. Are you still taking lessons with them, SwinginBoo? How's the commute (especially with the ghastly weather :cry: ).

Any new observations?

Thanks for asking Jenn. Yes I did think this thread was dead, but you're always on top of things. :wink:

Last month I went and took the styling and musicality workshop for intermediate lindy hoppers. It was kind of a disappointment. I say this because I expected the class to be full of people who already knew basics and were ready to work on syncopations and the like. However, while most could complete a basic lindy turn, they could not do it very well. So we spent a bit over 2 hours working on basics. And don't get me wrong basics are great, but when I have traveled 2 1/2 hours to get there and have a 2 1/2 hour commute back home I was expecting the class to be different. I work on my basics all the time so I didn't really want a whole class on it, you know? I'm not criticizing because I know that in order to get to styling you have to have good basics. What I am upset about is that the class was listed specifically for intermediate dancers and by my standard an intermediate dancer is one who can do patterns fairly well but is always improving on them.

But it's always a learning experience and it was good to practice my basics. So anyhow, we're going back this month to take a 3 hour balboa workshop followed by a 2 hour private. I think this will be a wonderful trip. As far as the Bal, I can dance very basic balboa. And even that I would like to get specific instruction on the basics, so I know that class will be worth it. And the 2 hour private will be awesome. It will be an expensive day, but at least I'll get 5 hours of great fun and wonderful learning experiences.

So to answer your question about the commute. It's not too bad. One hour drive to the train station, 98 minutes on the train, and whatever subways I need to take. (which I'm getting better at doing). It's kind of exciting. Like a little field trip. I'm looking forward to it. :D

pygmalion

Glad to hear you're still hanging in there, SwinginBoo. I was hoping you would.

Yeah. Workshops are iffy. A lot of times the teachers adapt content to the people who actually show up. The fault is with the beginner dancers who signed up for an intermediate workshop. *shrug* That's what people do.

Keep us posted on how your balboa workshop and private lesson go. good luck. :D

pygmalion

Hey. Talk about coincidence. There's a great interview and photos of them in the latest issue of 5678 magazine. I just saw it on the newstand today. Check it out. :wink: 8)

pygmalion

What a smart aleck!

I found it at Barnes and Noble and at Books a Million. Both have extensive magazine selections.

5678 bills itself as "The Magazine of Social Dance." I think that's a bit of an overstatement, since the magazine seems to focus mainly on swing, -- the non-ballroom version -- and a little country on the side. This issue talked about Lindy, and had a write-up on Chicago Steppin, and step lists for a bunch of line dances. Most of the advertising is also for swing events -- USWDC sanctioned events. Anyway, if you're a swing person, it's probably worth a look. 5678 is published six times a year, and is available by mail-order subscription at a slight discount.

Dance Ads