Zouk: anyone tried it?

Gentemer said:
In the Netherlands, there is only a small Creole community, but sufficient to produce some great Zouk artists (music), like Susanna Lubrano and Gil Semedo. As for the Zouk (dance) to become popular in the Netherlands, it is mainly because of the Brazilian Claudio Gomes and the Surinam Claudia de Vries.
Gentemer, I check out Gil Semedo´s site. At least 3 of the sample songs are played regularly in salsa venues here in Lisbon, "Nos Lider", "Dedicacion" and "Nha namorada". Everyone dances Kizomba to it. I´m actually curious to see how Zouk (the dance) is supposed to be. :shock:

hey there

was searching the forums for zouk and came across this thread. i kinda assumed it was pretty common, but apparently not.

here in utrecht, netherlands, we got a zouk night every second week, and my school has classes in it, occassionaly. at the regular salsa nights, they toss in a zouk song from time to time.

personally did a few workshops, and then they tried to dump me in 2nd level cuz they weren't teacher the first level, which didn't go too well :) it helps if you're good at salsa and stuff, but some of the moves I found pretty difficult to learn cuz of the pace, and especially since not that many people know it you don't really get the chance to practice a lot.

MapleLeaf Salsero said:
Well just to confuse everyone more, this is what I know about Zouk.
Thank you for adding to the confusement! :-D

MapleLeaf Salsero said:
Sometimes, in salsa venues they play Zouk, however, most salseros think it´s Kizomba so they dance Kizomba to it.
I am still very curious what Kizomba is. Is it a partner-dance or a solo-dance or a group-dance? I thought that I knew, but I am not sure now.

MapleLeaf Salsero said:
On New Years Eve, I was at a private party hosted by a salsera and one her friends, who was originally from Cape Verde, brought some Zouk music with him and played it for us. It sounded just like Kizomba except it was in French and had a certain soothing/relaxing effect to it. Anyway, if I´m not mistaken, Kizomba originated Zouk that´s probably why it´s so similar.
Are you referring to the dance or the music?

MapleLeaf Salsero said:
I´m not sure however how you´re supposed to dance to Zouk.
Perhaps it is just the same, but just two different names?

MapleLeaf Salsero said:
Gentemer, I check out Gil Semedo´s site. At least 3 of the sample songs are played regularly in salsa venues here in Lisbon, "Nos Lider", "Dedicacion" and "Nha namorada". Everyone dances Kizomba to it. I´m actually curious to see how Zouk (the dance) is supposed to be.
Did you have a look at some of the video-clips? Take for instance:
http://www.brasazouk.com/images/movie.mov or http://www.sambaworld.nl/sambaworld/online_lessons/rodrigo_june2004/june2004.wmv
This is what I think Zouk (the dance) is supposed to be. :-D

Lockstep said:
hey there
here in utrecht, netherlands, we got a zouk night every second week, and my school has classes in it, occassionaly. at the regular salsa nights, they toss in a zouk song from time to time.
Hi Lockstep!
Nice to meet another Dutch guy or girl on this forum! :-D
Do you go to Zouk parties outside of Utrecht as well?
This saturday, they have a great party at SalsAventura in The Hague, the Brazilian Night, I can certainly recommend it:
http://netherlands.braziliandances....impleboard&Itemid=36&func=view&id=18&catid=12
Have fun here on dance-forums.com !

The quote should also mentioned that CLaudia de Vries has learned everything about dancing from Claudio Gomes. The bigger question is: Whyis it no where mentioned? Nowadays People that do not really dance give clases in her school . So be carefull if you want to take zouk at her place.

Hello all! I just wanted to let you all know about our Zouk radio show in Toronto. The station is live on Thursdays nights in Toronto, Canada on CHRY 105.5 FM and called Experience Creole.

We post our show weekly for those who are unable to tune in to the live broadcast on line, so please feel free to visit our website anytime! http://www.experiencecreole.vze.com

To listen to our archived program just click on the dancing stereo set at the site!

And please drop us an email and let us know how you like the show!

I red someone is coming to Lisabon so I vould like to recomend some places since I have spend 8 months there.For kizomba check out african discoteques Mussulo,ComVento,Luanda,Club Naval,Havana,for live african music- Ai Ue, Kandando,Lontra,B.Leza,EnClave.For zouk brasilian style I recomend brasilian disco bars Acores,Pantai,Armazem F,Sabor a Brasil but they are dancing mostly forro,samba,axe,lambada.

Just watched a clip from sambaworld (I think this is the only one working now). Wow! Looks like a such a fun dance.. very sexy! It's a pity that zouk is non-existance in melb as far as i am concerned..

Looks a bit like bachata in that it's danced quite closely (with the knees touching, etc)... I wanna dance Zouk now! grrrrr... Doesn't seem like a very hard dance to dance. Just stepping on different beats from salsa...

In Kizomba we have 100% body contact all the time:tongue: . The music is very romantic ( a little bit more slowly than Zouk). That's a very explosive mixture. We say, that Kizomba "kills couples", because it's really dangerous, when you're dancin' it with the right/wrong:) person.
In Brazil they are great actually dancing Zouk. They dance apart so that there is more space for all kind of styling. It looks amazing.
As fare as I heart, there is a Zouk congress in december in Amsterdam. One of the best songs: Ludo "An ke´Baw".

I just recently saw a zouk demo by two pros. I was totally unimpressed. It looked like a dumbed down version of wcs and chacha, with cheroc (can't be dumbed down). It's a good dance for guys and gals that can't figure out how to do triple steps.

Angel HI

Generalist, zouk is an awesome dance, and I am happy to see it getting more attention here on the DF. OD is right. The dance is not a dumbed down cha, or swing, or any of that stuff. It is closer to Kizomba, and is all about rhythm, connection, and interpretation.

Last edited:
Aloha! I was bitten by the Zouk bug- LOVE it! I have been to a congress on Oahu called The Dances of Love, happens in November. It was a lot of fun. It is so beautiful and versatile, like a true roller coaster of movement, but in smooth flowing currents like riding a wave. And the close dancing was actually very comfortable and not as awkward or intrusive as I had originally thought it might be. I'm actually bringing a New York based teacher Jeremey Adam Rey to Hawaii in January to do a dance retreat at my place- really excited about it. He is amazing if you ever see any videos of him. He is the teacher of my first zouk teacher: Marie Alonzo Snyder. Jonathan Troupe is also coming (he's an amazing zouk dancer/teacher) so we are going have a serious Zouk-ation (Zouk + Vacation). If you know anyone who wants to try a 10 day intensive zouk boot camp in Hawaii- let me know- because there are still some spots open and it's really inexpensive. Would love to connect with more Zoukini ;-)

Hubby and I are taking some zouk classes and we are enjoying it! Hubby feels like it is a dance like hustle, though--where, once we get used to it, it will be considerably more fun to follow than lead.

Dance Ads