Revamping a used dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by stash, Apr 28, 2012.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

tangential, but definitely related:

I bought an old-skool, conservative dress from a fellow DF-er for my first competition. I personally glued 10G itty bitty stones on it. The following year, I had its neckline and sleeves revamped by a professional ballroom seamstress, who, IME, did a not-so-good job and charged me a *fortune*, but I like the color and style of the dress and was dedicated to having it the way I wanted it. Also, I glued another 10G itty bitty stones on it. This year, I found another, more realistically priced seamstress, and had the sleeves revamped again, the whole thing taken in to fit better, and another 24G of stones added. It looks and feels like a new gown. Considering what I spent in stones and seamstresses, it practically freakin' IS a new gown. (OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration.) BUT, and it's a biiiiiiiig but, it feels great to dance in, looks good, and is definitely eye-catching; it practically glows in the dark (I checked in the studio yesterday, when doing rounds prepping for a comp this weekend).

Moral: if I spend the time, effort, and money on doing what makes me feel good dancing, it's time, effort, and money well spent. And if that's revamping an old gown until I"ve spent more on the revamping than the gown cost in the first place, so be it.
  2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I have a custom made, designer rhythm dress which I wore for several years and am no longer wearing in competition, but it was my first real competition dress and I don't quite have the heart to sell it. Plus, it's a unique color that earned me lots of compliments, but would probably be difficult to sell. The only reason I stopped wearing it was because I literally outgrew it, both physically (I lost weight and things shifted around as I developed my so-called "dancer's body") and in my dancing. I went and bought a new dress because I could no longer stand the way my old dress fit, especially the neckline and sides. SO...long story short (too late) I'm debating whether or not I a) can and b) want to take it back to the designer and see if it is possible to have them completely rework the top half of the dress and basically turn it into a new, well fitting dress for me. Is this something the top designers would even consider doing? Would it be worth it, or would it end up costing as much as a new dress? Or should I just accept that I will no longer wear that dress in competition and see if I can sell it?
  3. latervet1

latervet1 Member

i would suspect most designers would. however the expensive part of most of these dresses is the stoning, not the material so if you had to completely restone it i doubt you would be saving much money.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Here's the picture. The picture doesn't do the stones justice but you get the idea. :D

Attached Files:

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Wow! Looks so much better!
  6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I know :) And it's only just started. got more stones in the mail today. Since I slightly altered my original idea I had to get more crystal AB. So super excited!
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

(mini highjack) ah standarddancer, if only I could dramatically reduce my size, I would love to have your red dress :) (end highjack)
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had a stoning party with mindputtee and another one of our friends and got a lot accomplished. I managed to use up my first 10 gross and get the third section done. I have to have this done by DCDI. 3 more sections to go! Challenged accepted!
    Larinda McRaven and mindputtee like this.
  9. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

AHHH you'll have to post the finished thing - I'll be missing DCDI this year.... boooooooo
  10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I

definitely will, especially since I probably won't be wearing it again until, at the earliest, Mid-Atlantic.
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I finally finished stoning! Almost ran out of the ABs but I have a few to spare, thank goodness. I'm soooooo glad it's done :) One less thing on my to do list. I will post pictures after the weekend. I want it to be a secret until then. I hope everyone on the ESC like me is staying safe from Sandy.
  12. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Wow, 10G+, that's a lot of stones! I'm partially restoning my dress, I have 1G ready to go and it seemed like a lot of (too much) work... up till now! You give me inspiration to get it done :)
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Trust me, 1G goes by real fast. I started out with 4G white and it went by soooo quickly. I think I barely got one section done with it. I quickly had to order more stones.
  14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Haha 10G is nothing to me. My green dress had somewhere around 55-60G on it when all was said and done. I've gone through ~10G in just the last few days and am now starting on a couple more. I'm redoing my green dress from my avatar (and the blog along). How many I actually end up putting on the dress depends entirely on how much I get done before DCDI. I'll post there again with the updates after I compete in it, and get some good pictures. I'm not unveiling this one early this time.;)

ETA: And I can verify that stash's dress looks way better now. :D
  15. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

So, apparently I was confused about what G is, I thought 1 packet is 1G, but realized it's actually 10G once I've read it more carefully. 60G was mind-boggling to me, but now everything makes a bit more sense :) Took me about a week working on my dress more or less full time - restoned plastic silver to rhinestone fuchsia and changed the color of bodice and cuffs trims from silver/yellow to fuchsia, thought I'd share the result.

Before & after:
    IMG_4572.jpg DSC00027.jpg
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Here is the front and back of the dress completed :D

Attached Files:

latingal and Miss Silly like this.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Wow, dress is wonderful... You did such a great job!!
    I just purchased a used gown that I plan to bring back to life.... Is exciting!
    stash likes this.
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I love the purple! It makes the dress a lot more dimensional!
  19. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Thanks! It was actually my teacher's idea to add that color. It's funny that he actually told me to add purple, but I thought no way, I can't use Halloween color scheme of orange + purple, so I went for fuchsia instead, but he also called the end result purple and was rather pleased for suggesting it :)

stash, what a transformation, the bodice really pops!
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thanks Olga! Your dress has had an amazing transportation as well!