1. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

:lol: :lol:

Ive always wondered about Bossa Nova myself.... I have a CD and one of them has a track thats says its Boss Nova.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

When I'm dancing to a bossa nova, I always think," step, step, step, bounce." Not that my thought process helps any, LOL, but that's what's in my mind. And each step is more like a southern US step. Slow and deliberate. Not a New York step (fast, fast, fast!) Bossa Nova takes its time. It's pretty seductive that way. Slow and deliberate. Hmm. 8) :wink:

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I was pretty much doing a Cuban side-step to the music, and a bachata could be done also!
    Up until now, I'd been playing Bossa Nova as BGM for dinner parties, but listening to it at home alone, it tends to put me to sleep... :?

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

When a DJ friend of mine (who also dances) played a Bossa Nova one night, I asked him to show me how to dance to it. He told me that it was basically a slow, relaxed samba. I can't remember exactly, but it was another "three steps to the four beats" dance, like salsa and bachata, but I was told to add a bounce to it (unlike salsa).

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yup. The fourth beat is a soft bounce in place. It's a very romantic dance, IMHO. 8)

6. Mitzi

Mitzi New Member

What is the Bossa Nova

Hey something in Cocodrilo's post in another forum lead me to start this post... I am a huge ELVIS fan, and I love the song "Bossa Nova" and it has a beat that drives me straight to dance... but in the southern united states I find that ballroom dancing is limited, and I can find no one who can tell me what the Bossa Nova dance is??? People say they have seen it but what is it?? Closer to Swing or Samba?? What beats??? Please clue me in!!!!

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Gee, I haven't heard that dance mentioned since the mid-60's when it was made popular by groups like Brazil '66 (who introduced Girl from Ipanema to the US, as I recall).

A dance of Brazilian origin (I'm fairly sure), popular in the mid 1960's. For more information, you would need to Google [http://www.google.com].

From swingstreet.com's Dance History Archives [http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3bossa.htm]:
    The site also lists several resources, including several movies that featured it and this section:

8. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

This is very coincidental, But I ahev Bossa Nova Music on in the background as I write! And now I can dance the basic Bossa Nova to it! Cool! 8)

Thanks DWise1!

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Apparently there's even a dance! The bossa nova itself is a type of music- very smooth & seductive. Our band does Ipanema, the theme from "Black Orpheus" , Desafinado(both English jazz & Portugese bossa nova versions) Manha de Carnival and several others. I'm hoping we will learn "Mas que Nada" which is a hip samba tune that has hto jazz undertones! Gotta get people to dance! 8)

11. Mitzi

Mitzi New Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone, that helped alot...I love being able to bounce ideas off other people that love dance!

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What Is Bossa Nova?

What is bossa nova, as a style of dance?

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I think it would fall under the general category of American Rhythm, having migrated into America from pre-Castro Cuba along with rumba, cha-cha, bolero, etc. Having said that, I'll have to admit that I know only a very little bit about it.

I do know that it was popular in the U.S. in the '50s and early '60s. I remember my parents having some bossa nova music, and practicing the steps in our living room, circa 1963. I'm not sure why it died out, other than the decline in the popularity of ballroom dancing in general that occurred in the late '60s.

14. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Where's BlackSheep when we need him?

15. mummsie

mummsie Member

Bosa Nova is taught here in Australia in a few of the 'Street Latin' type studios. Its quite a simple dance - basically just a side together side together to one side and then one side together the other. The guys basically just to this step and get the lady to do different sorts of turns. Its a good club type dance. mummsie

16. As for as I know, Bossa Nova is from Brasil and has nothing to do with Cuba. Never heard it in Cuba, either.

All the Bossa Nova music I have ever heard is from Brasil. I am not an expert in Brasilian music, though.

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I never even knew that Bossa Nova was a dance -- I always thought it was a style of Brazillian music. My dad used to listen to Sergio Mendez and Brasil '66 when I was a kid. We had it on reel-to-reel tape!! And then there's my favorite, Antonio Carlos Joabim. "The Waters of March" is one of the best songs on planet Earth. Love it.

18. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I also thought that too?

19. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Bossa Nova was originally the music, from Brazil. I always think of it as a mello jazz samba, probably because Stan Getz had such influencial albums.

The Girl from Ipanema is a Bossa Nova, as is Desafinado, which most people should have heard, at least in the US.

Whenever a music style is popular someone will put a dance to it, or more than one.

Here is a link to Joe Lanza's website (Black Sheep) where he describes making up choreography to the Bossa Nova. http://www.lindybylanza.com/

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, just blame it on the Bossa Nova!