1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your replies. Here's what prompted the question. I brought in a song to dance to, thinking it might be rumba, and I was told it was a bossa nova. We made it work for rumba though, because you could hear a QQS beat.

2. Taita

Taita New Member

*Drops out of lurk mode*

I always thought it was a style of Brazillian music, heavily influenced by Jazz. If danced, International Samba is what most seems to fit best. However, American Rumba could work too. :p

*Drops back into lurk mode*

3. uncle joe

uncle joe New Member

Bossa nova dance

Why has Bossa Nova been omitted as a category on Dance Forum?
    There is a video of the Bossa Nova dance here.
    Check it out and critique it.

Uncle Joe
    The Dancer's Best Friend

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Like Pachanga and Peabody, it died a natural death ! ( havent seen any B. Nova clubs around of late )...:rolleyes:

5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Here we do bossa nova social sequence dances, but it ends up being more of a shuffle. it's not the most exciting of dances.

6. Apache

Apache Member

Peabody is not dead, I saw it danced a month ago at a ticket to the 20's event in the city of Industry out in California. I believe a few members of the LA Art Deco Society as well as the Dancing Through Time troupe out in San Francisco keep it alive.

7. tangotime

Thats good to hear !!.. its a classic in its own right, and there are some variations that scream, Q/Step... funny, a NYC dance, being remembered in Calif. ..

8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<selective snippage>

Peabody is hardly dead; there were several heats of Peabody at the last couple of comps I went to. And some chatter among judges/pro competitors about pushing it. It's an enormous amount of fun to dance.

As is bossa nova, btw.

9. tangotime

By the way.. I was teaching P/body ,many many, moons ago and the same with B.N. and nearly a whole yr teaching Pachanga in the very early 60s ... heres the perspective.. they had a short shelf life with the general public compared to Hustle ( still going strong ) ,and Salsa.

There will always be " pockets " of the fad dances, but mainstream is very hard to sustain ( much to do with the change in musical styles and tastes )

10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

True, that.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right...none of it is dead contrary to that use of the term a bit often around here these days...perhaps limping along in many venues but not dead...great thing about df is that if someone wants to discuss it they are perfectly able to start a thread on it...