Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Thank you very much from Valpo! :)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you for reminding me about this...it has been a crazy month around here....will arrange to get something together and get it to our common local venue in the near future

3. ruby-dance

ruby-dance New Member

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

Hi! This is Elvan from University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. I`m the current president of Illini Dancesport Team and we would love to be on the contact list!

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi Elvan, would you like your username and private messages via DF to be your contact info? Or would you like to supply an email? Also, what type of donations are needed?

And welcome to DF!!

5. ruby-dance

ruby-dance New Member

Thank you! I`m new to this forum, but loved it already!
    For the contact info, you can use my dance forum account to send messages. Right now, we are trying to supply some dance costumes for our team, both for competitions and performances.

6. latingal

Done...hope to see you around the boards Elvan!

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I have some older practice outfits some not perfect condition but some are which could be ok for college newbies for beginner comp. I am moving out of my apt in manhattan by the 13th but if anyone wants to snag some skirts tops and espen practice dress with a small rip on a sleave they would have to come pick it up some time this or next week in Manhattan. Otherwise they are going to get tossed. PST me if any local team would be interested.

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

FYI Those are already spoken

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

If someone could add Northwestern University to the master list it would be much appreciated!
    We are looking for any dancewear (syllabus or otherwise) for our competition team or spring stage show.

Northwestern University Ballroom Latin and Swing Team
    blastcomp@gmail.com

Thanks!

10. Mark

Mark New Member

Hello!

My name is Mark and I'm the new VP for UPenn's team. We just got a huge influx of 50-60 committed newcomers who are desperately looking for shoes. If anyone has any shoe donations, it would be greatly appreciated! Please either email me markd1991 [at] gmail.com !

Also, if anyone could update the front page with this change for UPenn's team, that would be awesome.

11. latingal

Welcome to DF Mark....the change to the front listing is done. Best of luck to you with all the newcomers!

12. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

hey does anyone know if it's even possible to get a tax write off for donating a dress?

13. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

I know our club is a non profit, so anything that is donated to us counts in that way. Much as donating things to goodwill does, only by donating to a college team you know the dance stuff won't be used just for dress up :p

14. You should, but it depends on who you donate it to I guess. At our school, you have to write a letter to the office of financial services with an estimate of the value of the dress (our club does this for our donors instead). The school will then send the donor a receipt for tax-deduction purposes.

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Sent a couple boxes of goodies :D

16. HolyCross Ballroom

HolyCross Ballroom New Member

Hello All,

Here at College of the Holy Cross, our little club recently had an explosion of interest! Though we do love our
    newcomers, it is hard to match up our few spare outfits - we can't keep up! :) We would love to take any old costumes, practice wear, or shoes off your hands and out of your attics! We are more than happy to reimburse for shipping and/or arrange for pick ups within the Northeast area. (it's the least we can do for your generosity!) For more information please contact us via our website or at holycross.ballroom at gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

5678dance likes this.
  17. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

(hey hocroballroom ;))

18. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

I am the treasurer of the University of Toledo Ballroom Dance Society/ Team in Toledo, Ohio and I can imagine we are open to taking donations. I'm not really the right person to say so or what we would need, but if anyone is offering anything I can put you in touch with our Vice President of Competitive Dance, Joanne and she could tell whatever you would need to know.

19. HolyCross Ballroom

HolyCross Ballroom New Member

HIIII CECIL!!!

5678dance likes this.
  20. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm the shoes and costumes coordinator with the UMASS Ballroom Dance Team. We would love to be added to your list, and are in need of pretty much anything which is in good to mediocre condition-- and costumes in any condition we can try to do repairs on. Costumes or any dancewear which we can use for competition (non-costume pieces for Newcomers, etc.) are particularly welcomed, however we need more shoes (particularly for leaders) and any other equipment that you would be willing to donate as well. We have started a new program which has really boosted our Newcomer Retention Rate so we're expecting to keep growing at a rate which our already sparse equipment will not be able to sustain. You can get tax receipts if you donate to UMASS, and I would guess that if you are anywhere in the Northeast we can likely pick it up from you-- certainly from anywhere in Massachusetts. If you have any questions or anything that I can help you with please send me an email at UMASSshoesandcostume @ gmail .com. Also if someone could add us to your master list then it would be lovely.
    Thanks for your generosity.