Men Correcting Women

Sometime ago someone made a thread about men correcting women and I just wanted to add some thoughts.

First of all, instead of correcting mistakes, I like to see I can incorporate them into the dance to create something new and creative and interesting. Say a girl keeps making the same "mistake" over and over. Instead of correcting her, I see it as something new, and a new challenge, and search for ways to incorporate the move into a new set of dance patterns. Actually several "mistakes" have become new and interesting moves that I remember and take with me to other girls, some of whom are impressed (emphasis on the word "some"...lol) and who are glad to learn something new. I don't see the point of trying to correct a mistake is.

Just have fun. Salsa is a fun dance. It annoys me when some people are so up tight about technique and style. Create your own style. Even if a big mistake is made, the best thing to do is just laugh about it. Even that time when that girl tripped me and I fell on her (mentioned in another thread) it was kinda funny, I must admit. Just have fun.......

To think of it, salsa is like a language of communication. I mean, say you talked to someone, and they used bad grammar. It's probably inpolite in most cultures to correct them in casual conversation. As long as you understand each other, then its ok. Same with salsa dance. As long as we can understand each other, and each other's likes and abilities, that is all that matters. And as for the mistakes...turn them into something fun, energetic, interesting, sensual, and what ever else you can think of....

I think correcting is just impolite/impolite :raisebro:
Depending it's someone u know or not. Either way it's just not nice.
Is there really a need to? :rolleyes: It'll just ruin the whole dance.
I'm sure if someone wants advice they will ask in class with their instructors or someone they know, intermediate friends etc.

I think the big false assumption here is that the man actually is dancing correctly and can give correct information - which almost always does not happen...

It's easy in dance to misunderstand the reaction to a lead - or misunderstand your real level of dancing vs. the level of the follow. A poor leader thinks the follow does not do it 'right', hence his 'correction'.

Women don't make mistakes....it is always the man's fault. Every teacher I have had (male and female) has said that.

It's a miracle I didn't quick before the first 1000 "mistakes."

sweavo

yes, Everything Is The Man's Fault(TM)

In truth, this attitude is a great tool since you need your follower nice and relaxed, and she won't be if she's worrying about messing up. So guys, suck it up, take the blame for everything, and reap the rewards!

yes, Everything Is The Man's Fault(TM)
We should print EMF stickers and distribute them to all leaders. This is kinda like the two rules that lead to a successful internship:

1) Make the coffee.
2) Take the blame.

Other than the fact EMF is hilarious in itself as a concept, it's even more funny when somebody quotes it for some justification.

naw. It may be the man's responsibility (if he's a good enough leader, he knows better than to leader her in anything she can't do) but it can absolutely be her fault/problem that something doesn't work.

Josh

Women don't make mistakes....it is always the man's fault. Every teacher I have had (male and female) has said that.

It's a miracle I didn't quick before the first 1000 "mistakes."
Then I'm sorry you've had such misinformed teachers! Pushing the blame to always be on the man leads to Prima Donna Followers, who are convinced that they do no wrong. Fortunately most women realize that they also have responsibilities in the dance, and do not believe this propaganda.

Then I'm sorry you've had such misinformed teachers! Pushing the blame to always be on the man leads to Prima Donna Followers, who are convinced that they do no wrong. Fortunately most women realize that they also have responsibilities in the dance, and do not believe this propaganda.
Like somebody pointed out earlier: it might not be a bad thing that teachers say so, but that doesn't mean it's absolutely true. I can take blame if it helps to calm down followers, but I don't want to do that if I know it fosters prima donnas.

Dance Ads