A good sylabus for close embrace Tango learning

AndaBien

I think the issue is being able to suss out what is being done by watching it go by quickly from a weird angle on a video. I'm thinking Mario could get this move quite quickly if it was actually demonstrated to him live by an instructor.

Describing it in words complicates it... like so many things in tango that if you could just SHOW someone what you mean, it would be so much easier. But that doesn't mean that watching a video of a demo from an angle that hides one partner is going to instruct you at all.
I will say this, to Mario. Often students have trouble with sacadas because the leader makes small, timid steps, allowing little room for his leg/foot. Taking a good bold step just prior to the sacada puts plenty of space between your partner's feet, making the sacada much easier.

Zoopsia59

I will say this, to Mario. Often students have trouble with sacadas because the leader makes small, timid steps, allowing little room for his leg/foot. Taking a good bold step just prior to the sacada puts plenty of space between your partner's feet, making the sacada much easier.
Hey! Great tip! I'm going to remember that!

Sometimes words are good!:D

dchester

Staff member
Yes, so often it's the step before where the real problem is occurring.

Since we're talking Sacadas here...I'm going to go for this one shown twice in the first 20 seconds of this dance...going into and out of a (sort of) Ocho Cortado. I figure that getting one type of sacada right will at least let me know what it feels like and this one looks easy..(here we go again:rolleyes:)

[YT]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2qtDrR7MvI&hl=es_ES&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2qtDrR7MvI&hl=es_ES&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YT]

Zoopsia59

Since we're talking Sacadas here...I'm going to go for this one shown twice in the first 20 seconds of this dance...
Is it my imagination or does the embrace change slightly in this dance right around the time he's done with those two sacadas?

It seems to me that they start in a fairly "directly in front" embrace, and in the process of doing the moves Mario is speaking of, and the next few moves afterwards, she shifts to his right and spends the rest of the dance offset.

Or is it an optical illusion based on viewing angle that she was ever directly in front to begin with?

AndaBien

Is it my imagination or does the embrace change slightly in this dance right around the time he's done with those two sacadas?

It seems to me that they start in a fairly "directly in front" embrace, and in the process of doing the moves Mario is speaking of, and the next few moves afterwards, she shifts to his right and spends the rest of the dance offset.

Or is it an optical illusion based on viewing angle that she was ever directly in front to begin with?
I think so.

Dance Ads