Tango Wedding Dance?

I have a ton of friends who come from a culture in which something called highlife music is the music of choice
Interesting that highlife is still around! My family lived in Nigeria in the early 1950's and highlife was very popular then. I still have a few very scratchy 78's by E.T. Mensah, Awotwi Paynin and his Ghana Rockers, Ayinde Bakare, and others. Scratchy because of the red sand that blew about during the Haamattaan season (sorry I have no idea how to spell that).

pygmalion

Interesting that highlife is still around! My family lived in Nigeria in the early 1950's and highlife was very popular then. I still have a few very scratchy 78's by E.T. Mensah, Awotwi Paynin and his Ghana Rockers, Ayinde Bakare, and others. Scratchy because of the red sand that blew about during the Haamattaan season (sorry I have no idea how to spell that).

Yep. Still alive and kicking, so to speak, with lots of other musical styles alongside. :)

pygmalion

here's your answer Yes and No and Neither.

Why do I get the feeling that there are multiple conversations going on at the same time, here? ;) :p

Bottom line, if I were planning to get married (Heaven forbid! But that's another story. *grin* ) I would pick beautiful music for my wedding dance and hope that the people around me were brave enough to incur my bridezilla wrath and tell me the truth, if the lyrics weren't fitting for the occasion.

bordertangoman

Why do I get the feeling that there are multiple conversations going on at the same time, here? ;) :p
I am being ganged up on as usual, lol, so I am shooting from the hip....

Bottom line, if I were planning to get married (Heaven forbid! But that's another story. *grin* ) I would pick beautiful music for my wedding dance and hope that the people around me were brave enough to incur my bridezilla wrath and tell me the truth, if the lyrics weren't fitting for the occasion.
But do you want to be told if your music is
1. Cliched
2. overused
3. Just naff (IMO)

how about these lyrics?

Knock one, two, three on the wall
That will be our secret call
You'll find me under your spell
Secret safe, I won't tell

Knock one, two... one, two
One, two, three

I see you move across the room
I can't keep still, you're my thrill
Can't you see, you belong to me

You have me trapped, I'm happy with that
I'll keep you warm, when others are gone
Look in my eyes, I'm your surprise

One, two, three

I won't tell a soul, oh no one will know
I'll keep all aside, keep away from the light
Just call and I'll appear, I'll always be near

One, two, three

perhaps this needs a new thread..

"At my wedding I wild horses wouldnt persuade me tango to..."

PS if in the unlikely event of getting married i would chose the Sir Gawain option..
"Gawain marries the loathly lady. On their wedding night, she becomes beautiful and tells him to choose whether he would have her beautiful by day and ugly by night, or vice versa. He tells her she can choose for herself, giving her her will, which breaks the spell of ugliness that binds her. The entire court is amazed by her beauty. They live happily ever after."

I don't know; I just think of the typical vals as a lot more romantic than the typical tango. Exceptions abound, of course.
I'd agree - also, waltz-type music is more recognisable to people in Western cultures, so it may have less familiarity gaps, and you could even conceivably play a European waltz-based track to it.

bordertangoman

Geez, do you have an ex who liked that song? I don't particularly care for La Cumparsita, but I don't feel the need to go on and on about it to other people.
la Cumparsita???

I'm baffled I didn't mention La Cumparsita; :rolleyes:

the lyrics above are from an Imelda May Song;

i was just asking Pygmalion if she thought they were okay?

As for whether a wedding track is "classy" or not, I guess it's purely the choice of the couple in question.

On the whole "wedding dance" thing generally, I think it's a very bad idea to choreograph a routine; it's harder work, it requires far more rehearsal, if you get one thing wrong it's a nightmare, and unless you're a professional choreographer (and dancer) it'll look artificial.

Much better to teach them the basics, and a few "flash moves", then let them dance themselves.

bordertangoman

As for whether a wedding track is "classy" or not, I guess it's purely the choice of the couple in question.

On the whole "wedding dance" thing generally, I think it's a very bad idea to choreograph a routine; it's harder work, it requires far more rehearsal, if you get one thing wrong it's a nightmare, and unless you're a professional choreographer (and dancer) it'll look artificial.

Much better to teach them the basics, and a few "flash moves", then let them dance themselves.
I agree, less to think about means paying more attention to your partner and the music..

pygmalion

la Cumparsita???

Sorry I missed this earlier. I was getting dressed and driving to work. :cool:

Sorry to say, weddings are almost always about cute, cliche and kitsch. Overt sentimentality and rhyming are a bonus. So, unfortunately, the above lyrics pass the test. *shrug* In the unlikely event that I remarry, I would probably have slightly higher standards. But who knows? Even the crustiest old soul can be a pushover for romance.

I just don't want to be at my wedding dancing to "My ex-wife's a whore. I don't love her no more." (or similar) :shock: Even in Spanish or Portuguese, those lyrics would not work for me. :lol: :wink:

dchester

Staff member
la Cumparsita???

I didn't quote the lyrics, because I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about your issue with people using songs that you don't like, vs my not caring for La Cumparsita without carrying on about it.

bordertangoman

Sorry I missed this earlier. I was getting dressed and driving to work. :cool:

Sorry to say, weddings are almost always about cute, cliche and kitsch. Overt sentimentality and rhyming are a bonus. So, unfortunately, the above lyrics pass the test. *shrug* In the unlikely event that I remarry, I would probably have slightly higher standards. But who knows? Even the crustiest old soul can be a pushover for romance.

I just don't want to be at my wedding dancing to "My ex-wife's a whore. I don't love her no more." (or similar) :shock: Even in Spanish or Portuguese, those lyrics would not work for me. :lol: :wink:
it was a no strings attached question. I like the song and dancing to it.

bordertangoman

I didn't quote the lyrics, because I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about your issue with people using songs that you don't like, vs my not caring for La Cumparsita without carrying on about it.
I wasnt carrying on about it....just read the post; Pygmalion was asking for honesty...

pygmalion

it was a no strings attached question. I like the song and dancing to it.

Eh. I thought the point was about picking a wedding song. I like dancing to a certain C&W song. Oh doggone it! I forgot the exact lyric. It's about a guy picking up a prostitute for the night. Sweetest waltz you ever heard. Would I dance to it at my wedding? Uh. Probably not. You never know, though. The older I get, the slimmer the pickins. *grin*

pygmalion

I'll have to google and try to find the title for you. Oddly, I prefer not to google the search terms I have in mind while I'm at work. :wink:

A buddy of mine who DJs used to play it as a gag as the end-of-the evening waltz quite often. What a hoot. :cool:

Peaches

see, and I would hope people kept their opinions to hemselves about my wedding dance. Who is to say why the song was picked? Maybe ghe lyrics are inappropriate (la cumparsita), but perhaps it has significance for other reasons, and who the he'll is anyone else to say it's not appropriate or classy or romantic or anything else? (Speakingas someone whose "special song" with dh is (Still Haven't Found) What I'm Looking For. It's special to us because of a memorable evening, with that music playing on the radio somewhere nearby, and the phrase one of us said to the other which wasthe first tome we'd voiced such a sentiment...that "the song is wrong.". On the surface it's not apropriate...in reality it is perfect. Who is anyo e else to judge?

Dance Ads