Distinguishing between types of hyper-active following

Following Steve Pastor and Madahlia's posts above; my best teacher is my seven year old daughter when she is in a feisty mood; always I have the choice to
A) run with her demands
B) meet her half way
C) make her toe the line

its having the choice and knowing it that defines my masculinity.......

Note to self; need to do another NVC course..

........................ people I dance OK with but would like to dance even better with and also feel that we're working productively on technique as i'm stagnating.
...we cant let you stagnate...what can we do to help?

(aside from advising you to stay away from blind chickens)

Strong, assertive, but in a polite way. Easy? Right? Or not.

I'm interested in what our "follows" have to say.
Can / do guys handle it when you are non verbally assertive, or is it best to not go there?
It still seems to be quite a crap shoot as to whether the leader will feel the follower is assertive or just difficult to lead, backleading or ignoring the lead.

The current thread on backleading/active following hasn't really cleared this up at all for us followers.
I have heard several teachers say that men want women to be (in so many words) assertive, or strong, about their tango.
See, I'm not sure what that means.

But I suspect that it was meant to refer, not to any tendency to take over the lead, but to commitment to each step taken - I've heard a few teachers say that sort of thing. Basically, when you take a step as a follower, you need to make each step "strong".

Dance Ads